Chapter Twenty-Eight

Peter pulled away, our noses brushing as we drew heavy breaths and released them; all the while, his eyes never failing to let go of mine. He swallowed, almost nervously. "I have done everything in my power to keep from falling in love you, Meadow."

"Peter, what if.. what if we left Neverland? What if things could be normal for all of us, and-"

"Listen to me, Meadow.." he began, drawing away from me, looking out into the rolling waves. "I can't leave. Not for very long, anyway. This island is a part of me; strangely and inevitably it is a part of my mind and my being. If I leave, Neverland would die and I, with it, do you understand?" he told me, his words laced with painful honesty. "I would die, Meadow."

I was torn. I wanted to stay with Peter, but even then as my mind ticked steadily like a never ending clock, I could feel my mind being consumed by Neverland; by Peter. My sense of reality and sanity, was slipping away with every second that passed. Tick, tock, tick, tock..

Surely, I'd be here forever. Never dying, but never truly living either.

There was silence between us.

"I thought for sure that if I pushed you away; if I convinced myself that I hated you, then this would never happen. I brought James here in hopes that he'd make you hate me or you'd fall back in love with him, but he only made me realize just how pitifully jealous I was." he chuckled but then sobered. "I didn't want to fall in love with you.. or perhaps, I did and that's why it was so hard to convince myself that hadn't."

I understood him. Because I was so entangled in him, I couldn't leave. I was stuck here with him, living everyday like the one before and my life was like a train on a track; already set for me with no say in where it would take me. And because of this, everyday, I'd lose a bit of my mind and then slowly, surely, and very much unintentionally, I'd go mad. Tick, tock, tick, tock..

My heart dropped into my stomach and I grew hot, overwhelmed and bothered by my recent discovery. Perhaps, Hope had realized this too and knew that the only way out was through death itself.

"Peter, I feel.. I feel sick. I think.. I think maybe I should go lie down. In my own tent." I stood up, shaking and feeling lightheaded.

"Oh." he said, clearly perplexed. "Do you want me to help you?" Peter stood, holding his arms out.

"No, I'm perfectly capable." I stated, walking back in the direction of the camp, stumbling slightly as the world spun around me and suddenly, as I neared the edge of the woods, my knees buckled and I collapsed in the sand.

I only closed my eyes for a few seconds to stop the sickening dizzy feeling but it didn't go away. Peter's hand held my back and his right arm, slipped under my knees, lifting me from the sand and pulling me close to his chest. "I've got you." he whispered, though there was something behind his voice that struck me with tinge of guilt; disappointment,

"Peter, I'm fine." I told him, opening my eyes again and pushing away, but he only clutched tighter to my shaking body. "I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm okay." I repeated weakly.

He simply ignored me and I pressed my head against his chest, but his heartbeat echoed like the ticking clock, and I felt is if I was spinning around and around, clutching to him tighter.

•••

I awoke to the darkness, my back wet with perspiration and all was calm. I felt serene.

As I had asked, I was in my own bed and not Peter's.

I reached over and flipped on the light, and not a trace of Peter even remained in the small canvas tent. There was no sound, except the ringing in my ears and for a moment I could've believed that I was deaf.

I remembered what had happened, quite vividly.

Without bothering to turn my lamp off, I settled back under the covers and simply stared at foot of my bed, unsure of what had caused my strange reaction to my realization.

Suddenly I remembered the piece of paper I had found and slipped my hand in my pocket to retrieve it, worried that it wouldn't be there anymore, but just as I had placed it there, the folded parchment rest against my thigh.

I grasped it with my fingers and pulled it out, carefully unfolding it and scanning the writing on the wrinkled slip of parchment.

I've found a way for you to leave Neverland. Meet me by the cage before sunrise.
-Chase

•••

A/n

So guys!!! It's been so long!! I'm so sorry but I have been very busy with little to no motivation to write lately so I figured id get back into it.

I've decided that this story is only going to be 40 chapters and I know exactly how I'm going to end it!

Thank you guys for reading and be sure to comment!! I love reading all the comments!

GUYS THANKS FOR SO MANY READS I CSNT BELIEVE THIS STORY IS SO BIG

Anyways

Love love love