Chapter Thirty-Five

•Meadow•

The tension was overwhelmingly unbearable.

He had gotten into bed; not a single word escaping his mouth and I settled down in my place on the floor without speaking, but in the silence I couldn't help but think how much I'd rather be sharing a bed with little Liam than sleeping on the floor. Why had he offered his room instead if I was only to sleep on the floor and he didn't wish to speak?

This must've been his childish way of punishing me. This way, he felt triumphant. He was winning, this way.

"You are no gentlemen, Peter Pan." I spat into the darkness. But wasn't that just it? He was the boy that refused to grow up.

He ignored my remark, pretending to sleep when I know he wasn't. "Well I guess if he's asleep he won't mind that I'm getting in his bed." I said quite loudly, picking up my pillow and climbing up on his large mattress.

He turned away from me, still remaining silent. "You can't fool me, Peter." I leaned over to him, whispering in his ear.

He did not tell me to leave nor fight that I was with him in his bed, because secretly I believe this is what he wanted. He couldn't have believed I would sleep on the floor. But the tension was thicker up here.

I wanted to reach out and touch him, and I was sure he wanted the same, but the wall he built up so highly stood like a towering giant between us. I had been in his bed before but it felt different when he was in it with me.

"You can't ignore me forever." I said simply.

"I'm sleeping."

"You wanted me in here or else you would've let me sleep in with Liam or let Chase share with someone." I stated bluntly.

"I was-" he started, turning around and facing me. "I was just.."

"You were just what?" I beckoned further, lowering my voice to a whisper when I noticed how small the space was between us.

"I was simply.. keeping you from the cold. There is a stove in here and you have nothing to keep you warm. I couldn't let you get sick." he said, brows furrowed and words dry and distasteful.

"Why couldn't you?" I pressed further.

"Because.. because I'd have to be the one to take care of you and I simply don't have the time."

A giggle escaped my lips. "I simply don't have the time." I mocked, mimicking his accent quite dramatically.

"Why is this a joke to you?" Peter snapped, sitting up quickly and staring deeply into my eyes. Even in this darkness, I could see the green in his irises. Surprised by his sudden outburst, I said nothing.

"Have you buried yourself so deeply in your own pride that you cannot see that you have hurt me?" he questioned, his angered tone falling into a whisper. "What do you wish to gain from proving to me that I am a monster?"

"Peter, I.." but no explanation fell from my lips. His chest heaved and his face struck with grief as I bathed in my own guilt.

"You cannot expect me to trust you when you have not placed your trust in me. That's not how the game works, Meadow." he said, shaking his head and settling back down again, completely turned from me and not only putting his wall up higher, but building a crocodile infested moat around it.