Chapter Thirty-Eight

•Meadow•

The job was finished in time for dinner, a hot soup made from dried rabbit meat and Nolan's hot cider. I went unnoticed, not speaking, just watching; hearing their laughter and seeing the brightness of their smiles, but a sadness overtook me. Why have I never felt this way?

On many occasions, I enjoyed hearing the laughter of others, but as Chase said, I have never fit in. If he could tell, surely the others could sense it as well. I longed for the joy that the others had, was that so selfish?

I had put on my grey sleeveless top and hung my sweater to dry, wrapping myself in Peter's cloak to stay warm. His was heavier than my own, with more intricate detail along the edge and the inside was lined with fur and secretly, I loved the scent of it. It wasn't a pleasant smell, like peppermint or flowers, it was just him and that alone was comforting.

I considered that this would be one of the last times watching the boys and their happy faces and conversation, that is if I decided to leave, and if Peter granted me my request.

After the hullabaloo had died and everyone retreated outside for a fire under the stars, Peter called my name as I started out of the tent.

"Meadow."

I turned to him, spotting him in the darkness beside the tent walls, almost ashamedly peering up into his eyes as the fire from the pit reflected off of them. "Yes, Peter?"

"Walk with me." he said simply.

I approached him slowly, glancing back at the boys to see if anyone would notice my absence. No one even bothered to glance in my direction.

I started walking beside Peter, recognizing the path as the one I had first taken the night I arrived. Not a word was spoken between us as we walked, but I stopped, grabbing his hand.

"Peter, there's something I should've done before and I didn't. You were right, I was buried so deeply in my pride that I couldn't see the pain I'd caused you and I.. I'm so sorry." I explained, hoping that he would notice my sincerity.

"I should've listened to you when you Chase the first time. I was just so angry that you sided with James that I didn't want to believe you." he drew my closer by my hands and held me against his chest, the sound of his heartbeat steady against my head. "There's something I want to show you."

He lead me down the path where the bed of flowers lie in the clearing. This is where it all began.

"This is what you wanted to show me?" I questioned, but he didn't answer. Instead, he stood in the center of the flowers, beckoning me to mirror his actions.

I followed him to where he stood and he bent to pick a dandelion from the array of wildflowers. He ran it between his fingers and palm, all of the seeds falling off of the stem. He held it in his hand, standing close to me and only opening his hand large enough for the soft white sprouts show without the wind carrying them away. He glanced between my eyes, a playful smirk dancing across his face. "Close your eyes." he said, before blowing the handful of delicate seeds in front of me.  I did as told, closing my eyes.

"Count to ten."

One..

Two..

Three..

The wind grew stronger, whipping my hair around my face..

Four..

Five..

Six..

I could feel his fingers lace in mine...

Seven..