Chapter Thirteen

Conversation was sparse as the light of the lantern lit the dirt path, bringing us closer to the lagoon and closer to the awkward bathing situation.

When we arrived, the water fall curtained over the large rocks and into the water, shimmering by the light of the moon and ripples dark with night.

"Nothing lives in there, right?" I questioned, peering dubiously into the pool.

"A few fish, but they won't mind." Owen responded, setting the lantern on the rock wall that I had gone behind when the boys bathed the other day.

"What? What if they touch me?" I asked worriedly.

Owen laughed. "I'm kidding. There's no fish."

I shot him an annoyed glance and dipped my bare feet into the water, which was surprisingly warm despite the breezy night, or early morning rather.

No one kept track of time in Neverland. Life was just lived based on habit, unless Peter said otherwise.

"Well." Owen clapped his hands together."l'll be leaving." he said before turning around.

"You're leaving me here by myself?" I questioned.

"That was the plan. Aren't you supposed to be the brave one?" he inquired jokingly.

"There's a difference between brave and foolish. Standing out here in the dark when who-knows-what could approach me when I have no form of defense, is foolish. Standing up to a silly boy that thinks he runs the whole island, is.. well, it's hardly noble if you think about it." I explained, crossing my arms across my chest.

"I don't think you recognize the power that Peter actually has on people." Owen responded. "Anyway, so you want me to just stand here and wait for you to clean yourself?" he continued.

"Please." I begged, untying the strings of my cloak and tossing it over the tall rock.

He sighed exaggeratedly and leaned on one of the many rocks that lined the lagoon with his arms crossed, facing me.

"Turn around." I demanded.

"Meadow, I'm not going to look at you!" he argued.

"Owen." my voice whined.

"Girls are so difficult. I can bathe with five other guys and maintain eye contact; no problem. But then some girl shows up and it's suddenly.."

"Stop whining." I interrupted him.

Owen turned his back toward me and I rid of my clothing quickly before wading into the pool.

Still being cautious of creatures lurking in the water, I went in farther, dipping my mass of tangled hair into the water.

When I came back up, I could hear Owen's voice utter words that I couldn't understand. "What?" I asked.

"I said, look under the rock by the waterfall. There's a small opening with a vial. Do you see it?" he repeated.

I swam deeper into the pool, the trickling water fall getting louder as I approached.

"Yes, what is it?" I asked, rolling it around in my dripping hand.

"Herb and flower extract. Something Nolan came up with to bathe with."

I poured a bit of the concoction into my palm and rubbed into my hair and along my arms. "So is Nolan just the creative genius of the group?" I asked, chuckling as I scrubbed the sweet smelling mixture through my hair.

"I suppose. He cooks everything, makes medicines, tonics, and stuff. He's handy to have around, you know?" Owen told me.

I submerged my head into the warm water, ridding of the extract and filth from my mess of golden brown hair.