Chapter Thirty-One

"Meadow,"

I had been staring down at my plate, unmoving and seemingly in a daze. Nolan waited for my response, leaning in close as if he was about to share a secret of some sort. "Meadow, are things okay?"

I simply nodded and propped my head up on the palm of my hand.

"What's going on with you and Peter? What happened between you two?" he whispered, leaning closer to make sure that only I could hear him, even in the loud conversation between Caspar and Owen as they tarm wrestled.

"I don't know, frankly." I stated, shrugging.

"Did he.. force himself on you?" he asked with concern, causing me to chuckle. "No, nothing like that." I responded.

"Nolan, what was Peter like before.." I trailed off.

"Before Hope's accident?" he questioned but tightened his lips, glancing downward. "If you can really call it an accident."

"Yes, before that. Was he very different?" I asked sensitively, trying my best to block out the loud laughter erupting across the table.

"Peter was always very strict, but not like he is now. Hope brought out the best in everyone, but even then sometimes it seemed not even Peter could control his anger." Nolan explained, glancing back the boys every so often to make sure we weren't heard.

"Why didn't he let her leave when she asked to? He was in love with her, wasn't he?" I asked, perhaps a bit far off of topic, but Nolan would find out about my desire to leave eventually.

"She wasn't in love with him. The fact that she didn't feel the same way, angered him and not letting her leave was like payment for him. That's the worst I've ever seen him."

James made an entrance, breathing heavily and reached for one of the wooden cups on the table, filling it with the orange juice on the table. He sat across from me, swear trailing down his temple.

Peter followed shortly after, standing at the head of the table, expressionless and cold. "Meadow, may I speak with you in my room, please?" he asked but it seemed like more of a demand than a request.

All conversation seemed to cease and eyes transfixed on me. "I guess it's time for your 'punishment'." James muttered, mock sympathetically.

"I believe you've had a long enough break, James." Peter's fists clenched tightly, clearly bothered by James' remark. "Caspar, see to it that he finishes his job."

Caspar rose, sighing and stepping out of the tent, James hesitantly following after him. "When does it end?" he asked.

"When I say it does."

Peter walked across the room to where the curtain separated the dining room from his bedroom and pulled apart the curtain, waiting for me to enter. "All of you, head to the archery center and start working on self defense." he commanded the others before following behind me.

I was anxious, growing nauseous with every silent moment that he waited for the others to leave. Whatever he was going to do or say, he didn't want anyone to hear.

"Are you feeling well again?" he asked simply, keeping his lips tight.

"You got rid of everyone to ask how I'm feeling?" I scoffed.

"Well are you?" Peter's annoyance grew.

"Yes, I'm fine."

"Listen, I don't know what caused your sudden sickness yesterday, but I have a bloody good guess and I.." he paused, sighing. "I apologize."

I realized then that I had been entirely selfish the night before. Peter opened up to me and suddenly I was sick without reason. "Oh Peter, I'm sorry. It wasn't like that, I promise. I just.. hadn't eaten and I got very sick."

I knew Peter wanted to believe it, whether he did or not. "So you.." he began.

"I'm in love with you, Peter."

The words came out pitifully, but for a moment I was relieved. Peter was flabbergasted, it seemed; his face changed and the corners of his mouth tugged upward into an almost shy grin.

"I don't understand. This morning you were furious with me and I nearly believed you hated me." he sat on his bed, resting his elbows on his knees and clasping his hands together, evidently confused.

"I've never hated you, not once. But there's a side of you that scares me." I uttered, sitting beside him.

"I didn't mean to scare you. I know I've frightened you and when I see it behind your eyes, it's like.. it's like I've been stabbed in the chest. The last thing I'd ever want to do is hurt you, Meadow." Peter's voice quieted as his eyes darted between mine and he swallowed nervously, lifting his hand and placing it to my cheek, running his thumb over my skin and down to my lips, glancing at them quickly. "Do you trust me?"

I licked my chapped lips, breathing steadily and unsure of how to answer. "Yes I do, Peter." I hadn't known, of course, if I had meant it. I felt as if I did, but wondered if there would ever be a day when he may unintentionally and regrettably hurt me without even trying.

He tilted his head, bringing his lips to the corner of my mouth and tenderly leaving a delicate kiss before placing a deeper kiss upon my parted lips.

I placed my hand on his shoulder, pulling him closer and running my hand down his chest, feelings his eagerness. The feeling of his lips was gentle, but he wanted it just as much I did. This my sweetness amongst the chaos.

My kisses trailed down his neck and he drew in a sharp breath, closing his eyes and pulling his lip between his teeth. I had an effect on him and he on me. I could feel his heart racing against my chest as he pulled me closer to him. I wondered then, where it would end.

"Jesus, Meadow." he breathed, trailing his hand down my back, sending breath taking chills down my spine. His lips returned to mine and he pulled my bottom lip between his teeth for a second before pulling away, breathing heavy and the deep desire in his poison green eyes had my stomach erupting with a thousand butterflies.

"We can't do this." he breathed. "Not right now." he swallowed, our noses brushing before he moved my hair to one side and planted a small kiss behind my ear. "You're breath taking." he whispered into my ear as if we weren't the only breathing souls in the room.

We pulled apart from each other, and Peter awkwardly placed his hands in his lap as if trying to hide something and cleared his throat, redness spreading across his cheeks. "I think you should join the others and I'll be.. right behind you." he said casually

Deciding it was best not to embarrass him, I leant to kiss his cheek before sauntering out of his tent.

I wasn't in any way a stranger to deep kisses, but things were different with Peter. James was always rough and overly eager, never taking things slowly as Peter had or stopping before I pushed him away. There was a beautiful gentleness about Peter, a heartbreakingly delicate quality as if missing something, even once, would cause it all to slip through his fingertips...

•••

A/N

HI! So I've been really good at updating!

I MADE A MEADOW PETER VIDEO EDIT ON VINE SO GO LOOK AT IT OKAY (user is •SmileyMukeEdits•)

I listened to Wildest Dreams by Madeline Bailey or something while writing this chapter

So you guys have chosen between Pedow and Panow (or maybe Pandow) so choose between those and we'll see which you guys like better! AND YOURE WELCOME FOR THE PAN MEADOW SCENE

The picture I included is Alice Kristiansen who I imagined as Meadow (her insta is Alicelk so go check it out)

THANKS GUYS

LOVE LOVE LOVE