Chapter Thirty-Four

I was thoroughly surprised, as was everyone else.

I made eye contact with Chase for a second, and he seemed to have the same thought. To him, this was one step closer to his way out.

"You mean me?" I questioned, unsure that he could mean me after the way he ignored me throughout dinner.

"Yes, Meadow, I mean you."

Peter turned and went back into the brightly lit tent and I assumed I was supposed to follow. Perhaps, he wanted to talk it through, but still my stomach churned with anxiety.

I could hear the hushed voices of the boys behind me as I followed Peter. They knew something was going on between us; they weren't dim. Only Nolan knew that I wasn't sleeping with Pan. That's what it looked like to other boys, I'm sure.

The tent was warmed by the stove and Peter lifted a few of the logs with one hand and threw them in to feed the fire. He blew out the lanterns that hung in the dining room, but hesitated to blow out the last one. "Do you plan to go out again?" Peter asked and l simply shook my head, and he continued to put out the last of the light.

He pulled apart his curtain and stepped through, not bothering to acknowledge that I was even still there.

I walked in to find him opening a large chest and taking a large blanket out of it to spread on the floor. I wondered where it had come from. I wondered where many of the things we had here came from, like the stove and the chairs and things. Surely, he hadn't made them.

He took one of the pillows from atop his bed and threw it to the straw floor where the blanket lie.

"Peter, you don't have to-"

"That's for you. I'm sleeping in my bed."

His words were as cold as the winds outside. This was his way of teasing me. He was back at this game of cat and mouse, and like a child, it was his main goal to be the winner and make sure I knew it.

"May I talk to you?" I asked him.

"Is that not what you're doing? Or is there another definition of talking that I don't know about." he asked calmly.

I decided to ignore his remark and sat in the chair beside his bed. "I should've told you about him, Peter, and I tried. That time I saw him in the woods and I screamed. You told me it couldn't be him."

"But you had spoken to him after that occurrence, hadn't you? You knew it was him in the woods and you didn't want me to find him." Peter stated, refusing to stand as if sitting would cause him to lose the upper hand.

"I admit that I did. He met with me in the woods to speak with me, but Peter, I was afraid that you would hurt him." I explained. I didn't want to share with him what Chase wanted to speak to me about. I couldn't tell Peter about leaving; not yet. "And truthfully, I've been wondering why you haven't."

"Is that what you see me as? A beast than cannot control his own actions." Peters eyes were deep with venomous pain and I could only imagine what it was like behind them.

That was what he feared the most. To be called a monster, when deep down he wanted nothing but to be trusted. That was the way Hope saw him, and though I convinced myself that I saw him differently, I had not trusted that he would show Chase compassion.

"Yesterday, when we were in this room, I asked if you trusted me and it wasn't an hour later that I realized that.." he stopped, licking his bottom lip quickly, "..that you don't."

"You can't blame me for fearing for his safety, when we both know how often you've threatened to hurt people." I stood in front of him, feeling as if sitting would make me appear as if I was begging, though I knew that I was.

"Chase is still alive, isn't he?" Peter questioned, throwing up his arms in defense.

"You wouldn't kill him. You said yourself, back when we were sitting on the beach by his grave, that if you wanted to kill him, you would've done already." I stated and then there was silence for a minute. "But you treat him as if you still believe he's dead."

"And for now, that is the best I can do. I don't wish to discuss this further."

"Peter, please." I rejected the idea of pretending I was not begging and reached for his hand. He did not pull away when I laced my fingers in his and I could hear his breath getting heavier as I stepped closer to him.

•Peter•

She knew that she had an effect on me. Her hands on my skin put a trance on me, and she knew it, but it wasn't that easy. She couldn't entrance me into giving her what she wanted. Yes, she could.

"Stop this." Don't stop

"Stop what?" she said, with a feminine air that I had never seen before, stepping closer to me.

"You're a smart girl, Meadow, don't play this game." Oh, but do

She was enchanting and I was falling deeper under her spell. I drew her in with every breath I took, my heart increasing in speed and I couldn't control it.

"You cannot seduce me into getting what you desire." She can. She knows she can.

She ran her fingers along my side, placing her lips against the skin on my neck and involuntarily, my fists and jaw clenched. "However do you mean, Mr. Pan." she whispered against my skin and just then, I almost lost it.

"You are infuriating." I muttered, my eyes closing as I bit the inside of my cheek. She angered me. I was furious, yet I didn't bother to push her away.

"I know." she said before pressing her lips to my own and running her hand up through my hair, chills fleeting down my spine.

But I pulled away.

I couldn't lose the grip I had on my own actions, even as she intoxicated me with her scent and the poison on her lips. "This isn't a game, Meadow."

The fact that she believed she could pull me into playing this game she was playing, angered me further. She wanted forgiveness where she didn't deserve it and she thought she could obtain it by means of seduction.

If she believed I had no control, I had to prove to her that I did. I wouldn't let her win this.

If this was the game she wanted to play, so be it.

•••

A/n

Short lil chappie-chap but unfortunately, there was no smut (you saw the words 'Peter' and 'my room' from the last chapter and expected it. Don't lie.)

So guys, who's gonna win this game? Will Peter convince Meadow that he has changed and gain her trust or will he realize that Meadow is right about his anger issues? I think Meadow wants to trust him, but it's hard to when he throws people in cages when he doesn't get his way

SHE WANTS HIS TRUST WHILE NOT ENTIRELY TRUSTING HIM AND THAT IS WHERE OUR PROBLEM IS

(The whole story being given away in the authors note. OOPS.)

Anyways, I'll try to fix all the broken ends and pieces and there will be a good ending, I promise. Maybe. Hehehehe. Bye.

LOVE LOVE LOVE