🏒| PROLOGUE

·͙⁺˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚⁺‧͙⁺˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚⁺‧͙⁺˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚⁺‧͙Thursday, December 9th

Thursday, December 9th

Esme laid on her bed, her headphones blaring music in her ears that could blow them out. She hummed along to the TV Girl that played in her ears. Blue Hair was one of her favorite songs to listen to when she was alone in times like these. She thought her roommate and best friend, Brooklyn, was already asleep by now. She met Brooklyn through the college campus tour she took with her dad last year, Brooklyn's helpful antics when showing them around really caused Esme to gravitate toward her.

When they became friends via Snapchat, Brooklyn told her that she could live in an apartment with her if she got accepted into the University of Michigan because her old roommate bailed on her, which Esme did get accepted. Esme loved living with her, but sometimes it was a blessing and a curse.

The door flung open causing Esme's heart to fly out of her chest. She threw her hand over where her heart should be, letting out a long exhale. "Jesus Christ, Brooklyn! Knock!" She pulled an airpod out of her ear.

"I did." Brooklyn huffed as she sat down on the edge of the bed. "Can I ask you for a favor?" She asked with a mischievous grin on her face. Esme paused her music and furrowed her eyebrows, placing her phone down on the nightstand next to the bed. "Okay, so! You know Ethan Edwards right? He's really popular." She asked, her hands on her lap. Slowly, Esme shook her head. "Okay, so! Ethan's a really nice person and he's Mark's best friend and he really needs a fake girlfriend this month."

"You're joking." Esme said, a frown on her face as she stared blankly at her friend in front of her.

"Please? Mark told me that Ethan really needed someone to bring home for the holidays!" Brooklyn fretted, her hands clasped together in a pleading motion. "His parents have a nice house, they'll stock you up with food, and if you don't go, I'll be alone with Ethan and Mark. I really need my girl with me."

Esme shook her head again, "why would he want a random girl to go with him instead of a girl who already knows and likes him?" Esme sat up from her bed, waving her hands around as she asked.

"Because you're my best friend and it would be more believable if you two were dating so he takes you, Mark, and I." She sighed hopelessly before turning her head away. Esme knew that look on her face meant no good. The biting of her lip, her eyebrows drawn together, her eyes staring at a specific object for a long time. She was conjuring something. "Alright... You wanna be stubborn? That's fine. I can be stubborn too," she says. "If you agree to fake dating Ethan for a month, I'll pay our apartment's rent for...1 year."

An amused laugh rose out of Esme, "you're going to pay rent for a whole year so I can go out with your boyfriend's friend for a month?"

"Mhm," she responded quickly. Holy shit, Esme thought. She's actually serious. "And if you don't follow through with our plan, you'll have to... shave your head!" She bursted out, a gasp sucked out of Esme after she said it. "Yeah! I'll make you!"

"You wouldn't."

"Oh yes I would." She narrowed her eyes.

Esme blinked a couple of times, trying to grasp if this was her real life. Was she actually about to consider dating one of UMich's most popular students so their apartment's rent could be paid off for an entire year?  Was she actually gonna consider Brooklyn's bribe? This whole situation is ridiculous, but entertaining at the same time.

She let out a sigh before speaking slowly, "Fine." She muttered out, a grin pulling at Brooklyn's lips. "But only because you're my friend."

"Yay!" She sprung up and wrapped her arms around Esme estaticly. "Mark and Ethan are gonna be so happy! Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

Esme let out a grunt, "you're squeezing me!" This caused Brooklyn to let go of her quickly before sprinting out of the room. Esme sat there, her mind racing after the event that just happened.

Fake dating. Fake dating Ethan Edwards. Fake dating Ethan Edwards for the holidays. Fake dating Ethan Edwards to meet his parents for the holidays.

She doesn't even know what Ethan's like to begin with, and she has to learn in less than a month. "What the fuck is my life?" She asked herself before falling on her back onto the mattress below her.

Just before she could shut her eyes, her phone dings. She rolled over to face her nightstand where the phone screen lit up. She grabbed it and saw an unknown number texting her. She stared at it, her eyebrows drawn together.

UNKNOWN
Thank you so much for helping me out!
I was hoping we could meet for coffee sometime around 10 tomorrow

ME
Is this Ethan?

UNKNOWN
Yes

ME
Let me think about it

UNKNOWN
Take as long as you need :)

Her nose scrunched, looking at the smiley face he put after that text. "Yuck," she muttered to herself. How did find her number so fast? Why did Brooklyn give it so fast? Was this whole plan made beforehand? She didn't even get a chance to know anything about him. Brooklyn just popped in and out. She shrugged her shoulders and decided to respond to him.

ME
Ok
Read 11:35 PM

Just like that, a simple text sold her life away to a flowy haired hockey player.