chapter four | where he is coming in terms with some crazy revelations

"Am I too late to beg for your forgiveness and perhaps for you to provide me with something to eat as well?" Edward asked tentatively, gauging Emily's reaction. "I mean to say if you're not still in habit of collecting dead bodies, or if you're looking forward to adding me in your special collection."

Emily looked at him in mock disbelief and he added with a wink, "That'd cost you billions by the way, and you should also add millions spent in kneeling in front of judges to get you out of jail for the possible murder due to starvation and hiding the remains. And the public interest wouldn't be of much support either since''

He added with a great dignity, "I'm kind of an important person and from what I've known from my secretary and tabloids, I have a supposed FanClub too. You'd be confined to life imprisonment forever. I'd never wish for you to-"

"Or I could just drag your half-dead corpse across this snow and dump it on the oil container behind those broken factories, spill Sulphuric Acid over it, close the container over for almost a week, and you'd be gone with a colour of a pee, along with my dog's shit perhaps, if I decide to dump you on the early morning shift of the garbage trucks."

Edward looked decidedly amused as she continued, "And that'd perhaps cost me half the price of my earrings, and some more bucks to hail you off to a better place. I'd plant tree over you in case you decide to take on your role as a fertilizer. Public won't be interested in something that looks apparently like a human urine and..."

She eyed him proudly, "your Fanclub can come and lick my boots in their free time. I'm sure tears combined with saliva would prove to be more effective anti-bacterials for my boots than anything else. Maybe they'll shine more too. Lysozyme, be my bae."

"And the conversation has come to an unfortunate end because my friend can't be polite enough to invite me in, so she has decided to attack me with an array of hazardous biology terms that'd certainly make me bleed here on the road."

"Maybe that's because I don't want my father to distort your already pale face due to winter into the various wall hangings of the fish pouts."

Edward looked strained and possibly worried as well. "I'm sure I can bear the damage. Though I'm not in favour of spreading malicious selfies of those wounded pouts on my face."

"I'm sure your Fanclub would pay me millions for those."

"So, am I being invited in then?" Edward started to move, but Emily caught his hand. He looked back in disgruntled hope.

"I know you mean good will when you are wishing to meet my parents, Edward. But things aren't actually looking very good at the moment. I'm afraid it takes time for the storm to settle. And even more for the consequences of it to fade away."

He put his hand atop hers, molding her fingers in hers. Though it was an intimate moment which he probably would revive some thousand times in his mind before he gets to the bed, but if he can contribute anything in quickening the process of sorting out this crisis of unstable emotions that had befallen on both of them, along with their loved ones and families, he'd have no qualms even to bend to the limits of his dignity.

He had done wrong by her father when he asked for his blessings to marry Emily. He still remembered the happiness that had crossed his features at the mention of Emily and him spending their whole life together.

He distinctly recalled how her father took a moment to himself to gather his emotions, and though many would say a step-father is never the same as the biological father, Edward would be ready to debate them anytime to prove them otherwise by showing how his dear Emily was the most cherished and blessed with both of her fathers.