I see red

Edward was tending to his flowers in the garden, unaware of what was about to happen. While he was thinking about how beautiful the red of his newly bloomed flower was, he did not even think that he would be disgusted with red soon.

He felt more than peaceful. The wind blew lightly, waving his hair, spreading the pleasant scent of flowers. He could hear the pleasant music of the nightingales perched on the branches of roses a little further away.

Everything was perfect.

Everything was perfect until a knight stepped into the garden.

"You're Edward, aren't you?" the man asked with a kind smile. "William's lover?"

Edward gulped. It would be dangerous for him to admit that, wouldn't it?

"No, never. He's my cousin."

"Of course he is," the man muttered. "I came to visit your cousin. Is he at home?"

Edward nodded in agreement. Were they in trouble?

"William!" he called as he entered the house, "You have a visitor."

William was in the great room, in front of his huge library. Edward wondered how he would find the time to read so many books.

Although William's eyes gleamed with joy when he saw his visitors, his gaze soon faded.

"Welcome to my home, Thomas."

"It's been a long time since we've seen each other, William. We miss you. When will you be home?"

"I'm at home, Tom."

With a hysterical laugh, the man pointed at Edward.

"This asshole made you like that, didn't he? You weren't that kind of person, William, a promising ruler, a strong commander. For God's sake, you were smart! Would you choose to die because of this disgusting man when you could have a peaceful home with the woman you wanted?"

"If you insult my lover one more time, no one will be able to stop me from tearing your head from your body," William said, trying not to look into Edward's teary eyes.

"What happened to you, William? Did they train you to sleep with men? Is that how you pay for all hard work?"

"Wait for me in our room, baby," William said, looking at Edward. "I will send our guest and come to you."

Edward did what he was told. Already, from the moment Thomas walked in, he wanted to leave the room, but was afraid to leave William alone.

He hurried out of the great room, but slowed his pace as he made his way to the bedroom. He didn't like leaving William alone. He trusted William, knew what a talented soldier he was, but Thomas seemed like a talented one too.

He took deep breaths, trying to calm himself. Even if I was with William, I wouldn't be helping him, he told herself. There was no way Edward could hurt anyone. The artistic soul wouldn't take it.

He could hear William's voice. He was angry. He wasn't paying attention to his word choices. He was showing all of his anger to the man in front of him. However there was no trace of anger in Thomas' voice, disgust was quite evident.

Everything had happened so abruptly.

"I'm sorry William, but I have to do this, you left me no choice," Thomas said. This caused a terrible confusion in Edward's mind as there was activity in the great room. "Don't make it difficult for me, Let it be done in a moment so you won't suffer."

Edward's heart was about to burst. What was going on down there?

Before Edward could even think of going near William, the activity resumed, and it didn't stop until the thumping sound of a heavy object falling to the ground echoed in the house. Edward felt like he lost all his strength as this terrifying sound filled his ears.

"God help me," he muttered as he made his way to the room where he had left William alone. Even if he was going to die, he wanted to die next to William, not alone.

When he opened the door of the room with trembling hands, the sight he saw made his stomach twitch.

William was standing in the middle of the room with blood on his clothes. His right hand gripped a bloody dagger tightly. The body lying at his feet belonged to Thomas.

"They thought one man would be enough to execute me," William gasped. There was an expression in his eyes that Edward had never seen before.

"William..." Edward didn't know what to do. Although he was glad that his lover was alive, that didn't change the fact that there was a body in his house, and it made Edward feel like he was going to pass out. "Good God," he groaned just before he fell to the ground, trembling. The nausea became unbearable, and tears began to run down his cheeks.

"Calm down my love," William said, holding Edward's face between his bloody hands.

"William I have a body in my house!" cried Edward in fear. Not knowing what to do, he would move, stand up, and collapse again in an instant.

"I'm sorry, darling," William said, placing small kisses on his cheeks and his hair to calm him down a bit. "We've got to clean this place up. Please pull yourself together."

Edward swallowed and stood up, drawing strength from his lover.

"Dad won't stop," said William. "He won't stop 'till I die. You have to prepare yourself for it."