I could never give you peace

Edward felt like he was going to lose his mind. Everything around was bothering him. He was disgusted to be in this house. Someone was killed in his home. The man he loved had killed someone. Thinking about it made him feel like he was going to suffocate. He didn't want to paint or eat. All he wanted was to sleep, but every time he closed his eyes, terrifying nightmares were filling his mind.

"Edward?"

William didn't thought that when he entered the room, he'd find Edward lying on the bed, shivering in blood-spattered clothes.

"Are you okay, darling?"

Edward glanced briefly at him, then looked away. He was very sensitive. Simple things were enough for his beautiful eyes to fill up with tears, his sensitive heart to break, his body to shake with horror. Now this fragile artist had to carry a corpse, bury it in the garden of his house. All this was too much for him.

"I feel so bad, William."

William approached the bed and sat next to him. Edward rested his head on his knee, empowered by his being next to the man he loved.

"I know, but it will pass, Edward. We didn't do anything bad. You may be in pain now, things may be bothering you, but on a day like this you shouldn't listen to your heart, baby."

"I can't get it out of my mind for a second."

"Do you want some sleep?" William asked, stroking Edward's hair.

"No."

"Shall I prepare dinner?"

"You'll burn the kitchen," Edward said sarcastically.

"How can I make you happy?"

"I don't know," Edward said in a whisper. He really didn't know. His heart, filled with grief, felt as if he could never recover from this sadness. He wanted to cry, but if he started crying, he wouldn't pull himself together ever again.

"You know you have to get used to it, right?" whispered William, touching  Edward gently.

"I know."

He knew.

So far he was very happy with William, he was at peace. Not a single day had passed badly, his heart was never broken. Unfortunately, it was not possible to be happy forever. From the first moment he started to like William, he knew it would cause trouble. For a nobleman to reject his family, and listen to his heart to be with someone like Harry was not an act that many would understand and respect.

"I have always tried my best to make you live in the best possible way and make you happy. I will continue to do so until my last breath. I can give you my everything, I can even sacrifice my life for you, but I cannot give you peace, love."

"I'm at peace with you," Edward muttered.

"One day I may not be with you." It was sad, but it was the truth. His father's order was clear. He would either go back home to work or die. William no longer had childish hopes, he knew that his father wouldn't forgive him. His father hated.

"No," said Edward, having trouble breathing. "You can't tell me that. You can't leave me alone."

"These are the facts, Edward. Prepare yourself. One day I won't be able to deal with my father."

"There are groups in the country that love you very much, get their support, William, do something."

"No one supports a gay man, love. It doesn't matter how good or reliable that person is. I'm a monster in your eyes and always will be."

"I can't take this," said Edward. His only support in this world was William, and if he lost him, everything else would be irrelevant.

"You can escape to France, the situation is better there. You'll start a new life. We have money, I don't think you'll have any trouble with that anyway."

"You're being silly William shut up."

"French gentlemen are passionate people, I'm sure you'll meet someone you'll love."

Edward straightened up to face William. Both of their eyes were filled with tears. How hard it was to talk about such matters. How necessary it was...

"I won't," said Edward firmly. "I will love no one but you, my heart belongs to you."

"I can't take away your right to be happy, love. My heart belongs to you too, but there will be a time when this heart will not beat. Then you will have to move on. There will be people who love you, and you will love them too. Just remember one thing, none of them love you as much as I love you."

"I won't love anybody else," said Edward once more. He had the look of a stubborn child in his eyes. He wouldn't like other person. He couldn't love them. The idea of ​​being in someone else's arms and heart was unbearable for him. "Even though I may never see you again, my heart's always belong to you, even if your features and your scent are slowly fading from my mind, I will love you forever."

❤️