Give 'em hell

The cold days were slowly leaving the country, and the weather was starting to warm up. As the sun melted the snow on the ground and brought dead plants back to life, Edward and William were accustomed to their new lifestyle. The number of soldiers knocking on their doors increased with the announcement of the death sentence for William to the whole country.

It had been easier for Edward to accept what had happened than he thought. The first time he killed someone, he felt dirty, disgusted with himself. Still, it didn't take long for him to recover as he did everything to save the man he loved. The feeling of remorse gradually diminished in the second and third murders.

William, on the other hand, had joined to the wars before meeting Edward. It was not the first time he was fighting for his life. He was feeling like what he had been through lately as a war. They had to win this war. If they were defeated, they would meet the angel of death, and neither of them wanted that at all.

"Edward?"

Hearing William's voice Edward put his brush to the table. After taking one last look at the painting he was drawing, he turned his gaze to William, who was standing in the doorway with a smile of satisfaction on his face.

"The weather is beautiful, my love. Shall we go out to the garden?"

Edward nodded in agreement with William. When it is summer they were spending almost all of their days in the garden. William was reading while Edward took care of the flowers. On some days, both of them just wanted to enjoy the weather, they would lie on the grass together and chat.

When Edward followed William's steps into the garden, the sight he saw brought a smile to his face. William had laid a blanket on the floor, poured two glasses of wine for them, and placed a white rose on the cover.

"I thought you might like it," William said, handing one of the glasses to Edward.

"Thank you," Edward said, kissing William on the cheek. He was cautious in the garden, as the walls of the garden were not high enough to hide them from the gaze of other people. He didn't want to make William a clear target when there were thousands of people waiting for an opportunity to kill him.

William, on the other hand, did not agree with him on this issue. He wanted to spend every day as if it were his last because he was sure that he would die no matter what, and he didn't care a bit about the looks of the people outside. That's why he grabbed Edward's face and pulled him closer to himself, placing a passionate kiss on his lips.

"William!" Edward muttered as he pulled back and looking around with fear.

"We should have made these walls higher."

"It would be like a prison."

"At least I wouldn't be allowed to kiss the man I love in my own garden."

"Maybe the people around us won't be homophobic in our next life," Edward said, taking a sip of his wine.

"How will you find me in your next life?" William asked, smiling.

"I'll find you," Edward said with a shrug. "I only feel at home and safe when I'm with you. I'll look for that feeling and when I find it, I'll find you too."

William kissed Edward once more, ignoring all his fears. This time, he didn't just kiss, but gently pushed Edward to lie down on the ground.

"William we can't do it here," Edward said in a panic, trying to push William away.

"Why?" William asked, kissing Edward's nose. "Are we doing something wrong?" He kissed Edward once more before continuing to speak. "Does that make you feel wrong?"

"No," Edward muttered. It never felt wrong.

William pressed their lips together, smiling happily. When their tongues met, he pressed himself against Edward, causing him to groan. William moved his lips down Edward's jawline, then down to his neck. He had unbuttoned a few buttons on Edward's shirt, kissed his collarbones, and bit where he had kissed, leaving a long-lasting mark there.

Although Edward tried to control the outside with fearful eyes at first, he couldn't stand it due to the intensity of his feelings, closed his eyes and focused on feeling William. He was safe in William's arms, wasn't he?

"Disgusting bastards."

They stopped 'cause of the familiar voice they heard. The relief they felt when they realized that the voice was not coming from a soldier but from two tailor brothers, Martin and Philip, could be seen on their faces.

"Even with a prize on your dead body, all you care about making love with him, William?" said Martin, pointing at Edward.

"What is it, Martin? Do you want the prize too?"

The two brothers looked at each other with an uncertain expression. They had to kill William to win the prize, not sure if they could make it. Maybe it would be a better idea to make a deal with someone they were sure could kill William and split the prize with them.

"Come on!" said William, standing up. "Are you going to stand there until evening?" He directed his steps towards the house. They couldn't kill anyone in the garden, but they could die in the garden. He couldn't take that risk.

As the two teenagers followed William and Edward into the house, driven by the courage they gained from each other and the greedy dream of the prize they could win, William whispered in Edward's ear:

" Martin is mine, Philip is yours."