Chapter 11.2

Ava's POV

Flashback

Before going home after stopping by Brooke to borrow an outfit I decided to stop by Starbucks. A girls gotta have her daily dose of caffeine after all. So instead of staying on the freeway and taking a left at the intersection I turned right. Driving in the opposite direction of the pack house. The Starbucks closest to the pack house is actually not on our territory it's on the same piece of neutral land that our school happens to be on.

I drove until I see that green icon of the twin tailed siren and turned into the parking. I quickly parked my car right in front of the entrance. Perfect, I thought to myself as I turned my car off, I can quickly run in to grab my drink and a small snack and head home in no time. I also took note of the other four cars parked in the lot as well. Each car parked far from the other, understandably since two of those four happened to be really expensive sports cars. Mine is a relatively new model but in comparison to those sports cars it's nowhere near as expensive, it's probably on par with my brothers car. Removing all thoughts of cars and there price tags I opened the car.

As I got out of the car a wave of dizziness came over me, and in my minds eye I noticed my wolf's ears perk upwards as she started pacing anxiously causing me to let out a shaky breath. My grip on the door handle of the car tightened as the wave passed over me. I visibly shook off the anxious feeling knowing that it was probably nothing. Just my Wolf reacting to something I probably didn't need to pay any attention to, like a lone wolf passing through the territory. Oh how I  wrong I was. And how I wished I paid more attention to my Wolf's reaction, maybe then I could have avoided the heartache.

I walked into the Starbucks and immediately the person behind the counter greeted me in a bland, I don't want to be here tone, staring down at her phone screen. A smile took over my face as I noticed that it was my favourite barista, May. I walked straight to the counter to order my goodies and as soon as May looked up from her phone and saw that it was me, a smile took over her blank face.

"Hey Ava, what can I get you? The usual?" She asked faking enthusiasm.

"Hi May, yes please. A grande caramel macchiato and butter croissant."

"Okay, you already know your total and I'll call you when it's ready." May told me smiling cheekily.

I chuckled softly. After paying my bill and giving May a sizeable tip I took a seat near the window over looking the car lot. The girls and I pop in to the Starbucks here at least twice a week after school and whenever we're here May happens to have a shift. She's a human who goes to another school in the area but after seeing us as often as she does we all started talking. From the little I know about her, I know that she's juggling two jobs to help her single mom with her younger siblings. Not long after my bottom met the seat I took out my phone like the teenager I am. After mindlessly playing on my phone I realised I needed to go to the bathroom. I quickly looked up from my phone and realised that May was still very busy with my order and quickly made my way to the bathroom. I hate public toilets but I'm desperate, I would prefer not to pee in my pants in public.

I hurriedly made my way to the bathroom and did my business as quickly as I could. Trying to be extra careful with what I touched as my inner germaphobe came out to play. I then took an extravagant amount of hand wash and started soaking my hands away before I left the bathroom. I pushed the bathroom door open with my foot so that I wouldn't have to touch the handle with my squeaky clean hands.

"Ava, your orders ready."

Rubbing my hands on my jeans to get it a little bit more dry I walked over to the counter and collected my beverage and snacks. As I picked both of them up I inhaled deeply and let out a sigh of satisfaction as the smell of pure joy entered my nostrils. I heard May giggling at my antics but ignored her completely taken with my goodies. I heard the door open and the sound of two people walking in. As I inhaled again, another smell reached my nose, one stronger that the smell in front of me. It was intoxicating, a strong black husk. I heard the owner of that scent let out a chuckle and his voice caused goosebumps to erupt all over my body. My ears started ringing and my heart started beating out of my chest. Anxiety ate away at my sole as the realisation of who was near came. Then my wolfs voice was suddenly clear in my mind and she repeated one word and one word alone.

"mate, mate."

And then I turned, ready to see the person my wolf claimed as our mate. What I saw caused my heart to break a little. I saw my mate, a beta werewolf judging by his presence flirting away with a blonde at the table I previously occupied. Confusion ate away at my being. How could my mate be flirting with another when he must have felt my presence like I felt his. I lifted a foot to walk in their direction when suddenly his mouth was on hers and they were kissing.

I gasped as my heart felt like it was breaking into a thousand pieces, my macchiato falling from my hands and onto the floor. I went into a stupor staring at them. My mates eyes finally met mine and all I saw was hatred. I could faintly hear May in the background asking if I'm okay and trying to get me to move so that she can clear up the mess I created. I watched as my mates gaze hardened and turned to a glare, he turned back to the women he was with and said something to her. Then he was out of his seat heading my way.

As he walked pass me he grabbed a hold of my arm and dragged me outside. I hardly noticed the sparks from his touch as he did so, feeling too much pain from his betrayal. When we made it outside I removed my hand from his grasp and watched him give me a once over, finally coming out of my stupor.

"Look, I'm not interested in having a mate. I like having multiple options and don't plan on settling down anytime soon." He said with a blasé attitude.

My face must have crumbled at his words because his facial expressions hardened once more. He's eyes were set in a glare and there was a snarl directed at me. I heard my wolf whimpering, trying to connect with his wolf who he had completely blocked away.

"What are you saying?" I asked hesitantly, instantly afraid of the answer he would give me.

He rolled his eyes and said, "I'm saying, that, I Dexter Alexander Green beta of the Shadow Sole pack reject you as my mate."

His words were like a dagger to my very sole. Said in a blank tone as if he felt nothing while saying them. My wolf's legs gave out from underneath her and she fell to the ground in my minds eye. She started howling out in pain and sorrow. Deciding that it's best to block her out for now and deal with the situation at hand and my own emotions first.

I steeled my resolve and emotions, staring back at him and I uttered the words, I Ava, sister of Alpha Alec of the Silvermoon pack, accept your rejection Dexter Alexander Green.

Who I was or my acceptance of his rejection must have shocked him because his eyes widened. But I didn't give him a chance to say more. I brushed past him in a haste to get to my car and get the hell out of this place. After successfully making it to my car, I quickly put the car into reverse and in my haste I reversed into a car parked horribly behind me. When I heard his voice scream, "Fuck my car!" I didn't bother getting out of the car and drove home. As soon as I could no longer see Starbucks in my review mirror the tears stared falling down my face. Then before I knew it I was full on sobbing to the point where I had to pull over because otherwise id be a safely hazard to everyone else on the road. When I eventually got my tears and hiccups under control I calmly drove myself home where I cocooned myself in my room.

My heart shattered, my wolf howling in pain.

Why, goddess why? What did I do to deserve this fate?