Chapter 12

Alec's POV

I managed to maneuver Ava towards the kitchen as soon as we got home, which just so happened to be where my parents sat waiting for us. Undoubtedly concerned with my relatively cryptic message over mind link. I mentally patted myself on the shoulder for blocking them out directly after I told them to meet Ava and I in the kitchen. I could still feel the pressure of their questions as they tried to force their way into my head. It has clearly been a long twenty minute drive, felt far longer than usual with my hands strangling my steering wheel and the obtuse pressure of my parents trying to get me to unblock them from my mind link.

Unfortunately my sister didn't get the memo and was not onboard with me maneuvering her around like a sack of potatoes. Nope, she decided that voicing her distaste was a much better option. As I was gently pulling her towards the kitchen by her arm she asked my back,

"Alec, what is it with you and dragging me places today?"

As she managed to finish her sentence, we had arrived at the kitchen where I luckily still blocked her view of our parents. She's going to be so mad, anyway best to get this over with. I moved away from standing in front of Ava, instead of answering her question I took a seat at the kitchen counter. Across from our mom and dad who kept sending Ava and I confused looks. I avoided all three of their gazes. This is technically my monkeys and my circus, but I don't want to be the poor unfortunate soul who tells my father that some small dicked asshole decided to reject his baby girl. I may be the current Alpha of our pack but I'm not stupid enough to be the bearer of bad news like that to my father.

I feel the heat of Ava's glare on the side of my face as she realises that my parents and I have cornered her. Still I refuse to return her gaze. Hopefully this conversation ends swiftly then I can take advantage of the skipped day of school and resume my Alpha duties.

"Kids, someone better start talking," our mom said in her no-nonsense voice.

Shit, I almost feel bad for Aves. Nah, I don't.

I of course don't answer my mom, I turn to Ava and wait for her to respond to our mother. But, my dear old twin looks like a deer caught in the headlights. Frozen with wide eyes. Then suddenly this look of absolute horror crosses Ava's face and a split second later she is turning towards the door in an attempt to escape this situation. Not that my parents understand the severity of the situation yet.

Before Ava has a chance to put a foot in front of the other and escape our parents, our father bellows out,

"Ava, you better not be thinking of running away from this conversation. SIT. DOWN."

Knowing better than to argue with dad when he's temper is flaring Ava hastily deposits herself into the nearest kitchen stool. The one by the door, probably for a quick escape after letting the cat out of the bag.

"Now, someone better start talking and tell me why Alec called this meeting."

I decided that Ava was already mad at me, and making her madder was something I would need to do in order for her to talk to our parents. So I took one for the team. I turned my body towards Ava, leaned my face over the arm resting in the kitchen counter and said,

"Ava, you have something to share?" I asked innocently, batting my eyelashes a little.

Ava's face paled and she looked ready to bolt, only there was nowhere to go.

"I uh-I. Nope, I don't have anything to share," she wheezed out.

"You sure you don't, Aves?"

"No." she managed to grind out, sounding more sure of herself.