Three

I don't know how it happened. One minute we're all laughing and eating dinner and the next Tyler has a knife hanging out of his arm.

I also don't know how the hell I got voted to take him to the hospital. I didn't stab him even though sometimes I wish I did.

I think it's because I'm the only person in the house who was allowed in a hospital when they're not the ones being admitted.

Mom could have taken him sure but she had to 'clean the house and the mess from dinner and get Daisy to bed' like seriously, they should be scared I don't stab him myself.

'You know this is actually quite painful' Tyler tells me as he sits on the bed waiting for someone to come back.

I sit on the chair beside the bed, looking around the room but as soon as he speaks, I'm looking at him.

'I'm sure it is, you had to pull a damn knife out of your arm Ty' I shake my head. I'm sure my dad would be complaining too if he was in this position.

'Yeah but I've been shot before and it hasn't hurt as bad as this. Sure it burnt for a while but this is brutal' Tyler continues to complain.

'Ok so we're going to stitch it back up and put you on some pain killers' the lovely nurse says coming back in with a syringe.

'This is Endone. It's a morphine supplement and it will ease the pain, once that kicks in we will come back and stitch that arm up' she smiles.

Tyler simply nods. Once the Endone is inserted, she walks away.

'Free drugs' he shrugs.

'I can't wait to get home and go to bed' I groan.

'Me too' not even five minutes pass before I see the affects of the drugs. His eyes turn droopy and he gets a goody grin on his face.
'Wow, you're really pretty' he says as if seeing me for the first time.

'And you're on drugs' I reply with an eye roll.

'It barely hurts, we can go now' he goes to get off the bed and i jump up.

'No, it needs to be stitched' I say pushing him back onto the bed gently so I don't disturb his arm.

'I'm fiiiiiine' he draws out.

'No you're not' I state. The nurse comes back and smiles at Tyler.

'Hey good looking, married? Kids?'

'Oh god' I groan. 'I apologize' I say to the nurse who is now laughing. I admit she is pretty. Nice chocolate colour hair that looks smooth as silk, her make up looks done by a professional and her figure could have been fit for Victoria secret magazine.

'It's quite alright, it's just the drugs' she says. 'Now Tyler you have to be really still while I do this'

I watch as she puts the local in and after a few minutes she begins stitching. I glance at Tyler a few times and notice him grinning at the nurse.

'Tyler are you staying with your dad or do I need to take you else where?' I ask.

'Dads fine' he tells me. I'm not sure if he was saying he's going to Uncle Ricos or if he's telling me that Rico is fine.

'Ok so I'll take you to Ricos' I say. He only nods like a bobble head.

'Alright, now you need to change the bandage after tomorrow night and don't get this one wet, after three days you can take the bandage off and wash it but don't so any heavy lifting or straining of your arm because we don't want you back here for a popped stitch' the nurse says taking her gloves off.

She turns to me and hands me a box. 'These are for the pain, don't allow him any for at least six hours and then only give him one. Don't take them continuously for three days so the third day he has to bare with the pain but even then there shouldn't be much, not enough for these Endone tablets anyway' she tells me.

'Ok' I nod. 'Are we right to leave now?' I ask her.

'Yep' she nods. I put the box in my back pocket since it's only a thin box and then help Tyler off the bed and out to the car.

'I wanna rock with somebody. I wanna take shits with somebody..' he starts singing when I turn the car on and the music plays.

'Oh my god' I buckled myself up and wait for Tyler to do the same. He takes a while but he gets the belt on and continues singing.

I skip the song and a new one starts. 'Oh I do like this song' he tells me.

'So do I so please don't...'

'Like a small boat, on the ocean, sending big waves, into motion. .' He continues to sing and I sigh.

'So what happened to Jacob? I never asked Dad' Tyler asks turning the volume nob down.

I glance at him and he's looking at me expectantly 'He was shot about five years ago, he died' I say sadly.

'Oh' is all he says. 'That sucks' he turns the song back up and then skips through some songs.

'I'm about to stab you myself' I growl at him 'Stop touching my shit'

'Ok, I'll leave this song. Didn't pin you for a Three Days Grace type of girl'

'Yeah well I like a bit of everything' I say.

'This world will never be what I expected. And if I don't belong who would have guessed it..' I sing along.

'Even if I say it'll be alright, still I hear you say you want to end your life. Now and again we try to just stay alive. Maybe we'll turn it all around 'Cause it's not too late, It's never too late' Tyler and I sing the chorus together and for once in my life I've actually smiled a genuine smile in his presence. We aren't fighting and he's not being a cocky prick.

Maybe I should give this drug more often.

Finally we get to Ricos and I help him inside.
'If you need painkillers then call me or come over and I'll give you some but I don't trust you with the box' I say as he flops on the couch. 'I'm out'

I turn and head for the door 'Wait' he says following me.

'What Ty?' I want to go home and go to bed.

He grins before leaning in quick to peck my lips 'Good night' he stumbles back to the couch.

I drive home on auto pilot. Never in a million years would that have happened if he were to be sober. They must have given him too much drugs. It was barely a kiss but our lips touched for the briefest of moments and it was just so.. ugh

I bet I could stab him in the leg and he still wouldn't feel it.

I walk in and mom's still up waiting 'How is he?'

'On drugs' I reply. 'They gave him this Endone stuff and he's out of his mind, for once since I've known this kid we had a civil conversation and I actually enjoyed his presence' I explain.

'Are you sure you're not on drugs?' Mom smiles.

'I do have the drugs, I didn't trust him with them so he can call or something if he needs pain meds' I pull the now squished box from my back pocket and wince 'Oops'

'Go up to bed Neika, you've had a long night'

'Well aren't I glad I don't have school?' I retort sarcastically.

'Good night, love you' Mom smiles at my sarcasm.

'Love you too Ma'