Twenty Three

For the last few weeks I've been calling mom every night, it's a routine now. I get ready for bed and once im in bed and comfortable, i call her and we talk for an hour at least.
I was really missing home and everyone and I still hadn't gotten over Tyler, not at all.
Mom keeps me updated on everyone though which im thankful for otherwise I woukd have definately been right down home every weekend.
I dont know how I haven't driven home yet, I've never been away from everyone this long before and i was starting to get depressed with how much i missed them.
'Ok mom, good night and i love you. I'll talk to you tomorrow' I say.
'Night baby, love you too' she replies.
'You and your mother have an awesome relationship, im jealous' Hailey says from accross the room.
We were having a movie night since it was the weekend, we didnt really have curfew when we were inside the dorms.
'They've always been close' Talia tells her.
'Shes pretty much my best friend' i nod.
'I've never had a good relationship with my parents' Hailey scoffs.
'Alright, let's get to this movie' Dylan says. We had been flirting but nothing more and now he's part od the group.
I'd be kying if I said I didnt like him because I do, he's so different to the guys I've known my whole life, he's down to earth and i was seriously thinking about taking things further but it wouldn't be fair, not while i have feelings for Tyler still.
'Alright, press play' I laugh.
We all watch Ride Along together but I was also texting Tyler. He sent the first one asking what i was doing and we've continued to talk.
'Aneika, your pick now' Jordan says.
'Hmm' i look at all the movies 'Step up' I smile.
'Yes, i love that' Talia shouts.
I laugh and get another text that makes my heart swell and break at the same time. I miss you x
I send a quick miss you too and decide it's best to stop texting him.
With great difficulty, I ignore the messages.
****
Ty: Hey :)
Ty: What are you doing?
Ty: Why aren't you talking?
Ty: Have I done something wrong? Why aren't you talking to me.
Ty: Aneika, please answer, are you ok?
I got these through out the week but I had to ignore him, it was for the best.
'So, I was thinking' Dylan says as he's walking me back to my dorm room. 'What are you doing tonight?'
'I have to study' I groan.
'How about tomorrow night?' He asks.
'Depends, why?' I ask.
'Well, i want to know if you will let me take you out for tea' he says nervously.
'Oh, um' I wasn't expecting him to ask me this 'Sure' I nod with a smile.
'Really? I'll pick you up at 6 tomorrow night' Dylan smiles. I laugh at his excitement and then he kisses my cheeks and leaves me at my door.
I shake my head and go inside. I see Talia first and she looks nervous.
I frown but when i enter the room, I see why.
'Tyler, what are you doing here?' I ask.
'You weren't answering my calls, you aren't replying to messages, what am I meant to do?' He snaps.
'I call mom and dad every day, im obviouky fine, I've been busy with school' i snap back.
Talia gets up and quickly leaves the room.
'Busy with school but you have time to call your parents but not reply to a message and say you're busy?'
'Yes' I nod 'they're my parents, of course im going to call them and waste my busy time with them before you' i snap.
'I didnt ask to come before them but you can't send a text and telk me you're busy?'
'No, I've been too busy to respond and then I forget you even messaged or tried to call'
He sighs 'im sorry I got mad' he says 'I was worried that you're pushing away from me'
'I kind of am Ty' I reply. 'Im trying to get over you and move on and then you tell me that you miss me and the feelings come rushing back, its too much and now you're here and making things worse'
'How am I making things worse?' He asks.
'I haven't seen you for near three weeks and i was starting to actually be hopeful that I could find someone and move on and then you show up here and i actually see you... ' I think I'll cry if i continue.
'Neik' he comes over to me and pulls me in for a hug 'im sorry, I'll go but please dont ignore my messages otherwise i will have to come back here' he whispers.
I nod against his chest. 'You have no idea how much it kills me that we're two different people in two different worlds'
'If only you were like your brothers or your mom even'
'Yeah' I laugh 'and one day some smoking hot babe will come knock you on your ass and make you happy'
'Maybe' he laughs.
After kissing the crown of my head, he leaves and I watch him from the dorm window as he gets on his bike and rides away, leaving the ladies here speechless.
With a sigh, i turn and drop on my bed.
I was hungry but i was tired and a head ache was forming.
Too much stress in my life and his name was Tyler.
I tell Talia what happened after she left and she was sad for me. I actually wanted to cry after realising the situation.

****
'Hey mom' I answer as i shove another chip into my mouth.
'Hey hun, how are you today?'
I groan 'tired, i have a head ache, i think school is really taking it's roll on me and it's onky been lkme two weeks since I started'
'Oh baby, you'll get used to it' she tells me 'How is the school load? You're not getting too much?' Mom asks me.
'No, you know me, I like to get my work done so i dont have much to bring back to the dorm' I smile.
'That's my girl' mom laughs. 'Any boys?'
'Well, there is this one boy, Dylan, he's cute and we have a date tomorrow night' I tell her.
'Oh really? Does dad or your brothers need to come and talk with him first?' She teases.
'God no' i groan.
'Im kidding baby' she laughs and then yawns.
'Well I'll let you get come sleep and I think I'll hit the hay too' I tell her stiffling my own yawn.
'Ok honey, good night'
After the good nights and love yous, we hang up and I fall right asleep.

****
'You can't wear that' Talia raises an eye grow.
'What's wrong it?' I ask.
'It's a hoddie and it's Tylers' she tells me.
She had a point 'but i dont have any clean jumpers or anything'
'And that's why im here' she smiles. She pulls out a grey cardigan and i take the hoodie off.
Dark jeans that hug my thighs and flared over my calfs were ny choice in bottoms and a nice grey singlet shirt with a flowing white singlet over it.
I looked pretty good.
'You look amazing' Talia smiles. 'Very casual but formal too'
'I thought so too' I grin.
'Knock him dead babe' Talia smiles as a knock sounds on the door. I look over and see it's 6 on the dot.
I take a deep breath and go answer the door.
'You look beautiful' Dylan comments as soon as I open it. He looks me up and down and i blush.
'You look pretty handsome yourself' I comment. He was wearing dark jeans a nice clean red shirt. Casual and nice.
'Shall we go then?' Dylan asks holding his hand out.
'Of course' i take his hand, wave to Talia with the other and we leave.
Dylan was a gentleman, he opened the doors for me and even opened the car door for me and closed it once I was in.
'Now, we're not going anywhere fancy but I didnt think you were the fancy type of girl so it's just a burger place' Dylan says as we pull up to a take away burger joint.
'This is fine' I smile, 'im not a fancy type and this is onky the first date' i shrug
'Does that mean there will be more?' Dylan asks, hope flaring in his eyes.
'We'll see after this date' i laugh.
We go in, take a seat and someone comes to take our order. We both order a BLT and a milkshake, mine was vanilla and his was strawberry.
'So, tell me about yourself' he smiles 'Any siblings?'
'Five actually' i laugh. 'Twon brothers a year younger than me, a five year old sister and three month old sister and brother'
'Oh' his eye brows raise 'you're the oldest?'
I nod 'you have any siblings?' I ask.
'A brother' he groans 'he's a pain in the ass, he's older than me'
'My brothers think they're older than me, they act like the big brothers' I scoff
'Any brother would act older with a sister like you'
'What does that mean?' I narrow my eyes.
'You're smoking hot, im sure guys are liked up everywhere and im sure your brothers are on guard scaring them away'
'And my dad' I groan 'want to meet them? Im sure they'd scare you away'
'Not likely, I dont scare easy' he laughs. 'Big family then'
'Yeah' i nod 'My dad owns a resturant with my grandma so it counts for the big family'
'That's nice' he nods. Our food comes and we pause on talking while we eat.
'So, do you like sport?' Dylan questions.
'Not really' I shake my head. 'You play sport?'
'Football' he smiles. 'Hobbies?'
'Well I spent a lot of time on my car and i like to read here and there but nothing else really' I frown when I realise that I have a boring life.
I needed to pick up a hobby.
'Oh yes, i just do sport' he shrugs. 'Tell me about growing up'
'I dont think we're at that level yet' I say a little nervously.
'It's cool, what else can you tell me?' He asks.
'Not much to tell, want to be a Dr so here i am studying in medicine'
'Like helping people?'
'Yeah' i nod 'someone back home is hurt every week so i want to be able to help them professionally and I like the thought that one day I could save someone's life'
'You're a pretty kind person, not many people care about others these days'
I nod 'there are a lot of selfish people out there' I agree.
Dylan and i spend some more time talking and after an hour, he took me for a walk and we talked some more before we went back to the dorm.
I kiss his cheeks as his phone rings. Tommy flashes on the screen and he presses the red button.
'I had fun' I smile but something about that name doesnt sit well with me.
'Me too' he grins 'does this mean there's a second date?'
'I rekon' i nod. 'Good night Dylan'
'Night Aneika' i go inside and call mom, telling her and Talia about the date before heading to bed.
There was something about the name Tommy that made my mind race, it was familiar but I dont remember it.
With a frustrated sigh, i roll over and go to sleep