Prologue: The Beginning

Year 1800

She walked down the street, the silk skirt of her dress flowing behind her. The wind was high and was sending chills down her body. It made a howling sound that made the girl look around her in fear. There was something following her, she was sure of it. But what? There was no men at the saloon that had been eyeing her up or bothering her. Who would try to follow her? When she turned around, there was no one there. Nothing to hurt anyone. There was no one out to get her. She shook her head, trying to get bad thoughts out of it. Nothing is there, nothing can hurt you, she repeated in her mind. But, the feeling of eyes on her couldn't be shaken off.

There was the patter of something behind her. It was uneven and heavy. The sound was nearing closer and closer. Whipping around, the girl looked around, seeing nothing. She was panting in fear and annoyance. "Who is there!" she cried in aggravation. When nothing was heard, she twisted around, careful to not catch her skirt on her heel. Before she could finish turning, something caught her arm, twisting it around painfully. She cried out in a mix of pain and surprise. When she lifted her head, all she saw was glowing eyes. The fear in her melted instantly. The beautiful glowing of the eyes grew more intense, drawing her in closer and closer.

"Why, Dorothy," a deep, male voice spoke from the darkness. "What are you doing out so late?" The question was casual, but it had a hint of something Dorothy couldn't catch drifting throughout it. Dorothy stared into the eyes, watching as they squeezed up like the man was smiling. She smiled, too, and looked down towards the ground.

"Oh, um. I was just heading home now, sir," Dorothy muttered, diverting her gaze from the gravel to look into those eyes again. Something about them was mesmerizing. It wasn't even the glowing that made them different. There was just something hidden within them that made Dorothy interested. It was like the man had a deep, dark secret he held within those blue eyes.

Dorothy's words elicited a broad chuckle from the man. This made Dorothy let out a breathless giggle. She didn't exactly understand what was so funny, but the eyes were making her laugh. They told her to. But, then, the eyes turned from joyous to ferocious. They were no longer mesmerizing for the beauty, but for the evil lurking within. "Dorothy. You're not going home anymore, now are you?" the man asked, brushing his fingers over her face. She looked into the eyes and shook her head. "No, of course you are not. You're mine," the man whispered into Dorothy's ear.

A scream slashed through the night air, making people from all over the town awake.

~~<@>~~

Year 2012

Mikeal stared at the computer screen, almost wanting to laugh at the high number. "Two hundred and fifty-three deaths just this year. And in the hands of those damned hybrids," he muttered, hoping Annabelle could catch what he was saying. A careless grunt was thrown his way. Mikeal rolled his eyes with an irritated sigh. "Damn it, Annabelle! You need to pay more attention to these kind of things. One day you are going to be running HPA Grounds all by yourself. These things matter!" Mikeal yelled, slamming his fists on the desk next to him, sending papers flying. Annabelle looked up from her phone mid-type.

"Mikeal, I don't care about anything that has to do with HPA," Annabelle said, smacking her gum in the process. Her brother sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. The position made Annabelle giggle. This just made Mikeal even more angry.

"Fuck! Annabelle, you need to take this more seriously! If you don't learn now about how to run HPA, we are going to have to pass the business down to Danielle! Do you want to lose this to your cousin? The one that you fucking hate?" Mikeal asked. Annabelle's head perked up at the mention of her cousin's name.