8.

The following day, I had gotten myself up early

The following day, I had gotten myself up early. It had started raining the night prior into the early morning hours. Dad figured I got caught in the rain seeing my drenched clothes when I got home after hanging out with Billy. Mitch had managed to repair my bedroom door. I didn't say anything to either of them about what went down.

On getting into the living room, Dad was on his phone with a look on his face which told me that it was the police chief on the other end. Plus, something had happened as I detected. 

"What's goin on?" I wondered after Dad hung up and grabbed his jacket with the police department insignia.

"Officer Meinen was found dead on the Sleep Robber along with two fishermen," he answered as slid his jacket on, "They were attacked by something inhuman."

The Sleep Robber was Jason's dad's fishing boat. Sam Scott fished for a living. It made me wonder if he and his men caught something that resulted in Officer Meinen's demise along with the two fishermen.

"I need to go and inform the family," Dad added with hints of somber, "Can you have Mitch drive you to school?"

"Okay," I nodded.

He hated having to go and inform the family members of the deceased, but it was part of the job. And when a cop is killed while on the clock, it's all hands-on deck for everyone in the precinct. 

"I'll be away for most of the day, will you guys be alright by yourselves?" Dad asked.

"Yep," I answered getting the feeling that whatever murdered Meinen and the fishermen was somewhere out in the open, "And, Dad, please be careful." 

"Always am."

He headed out the door.

Later after school, taking in Jason's words, I headed for the mountain. Billy tagged alongside me as he too headed for the same destination as me. We got there at the same time as Kimberly, Trini, and Zack to find Jason standing at the edge of the chasm.

"What's up crazy girl?" Zack grinned at Trini.

"Hey," Trini slid her hands into her jacket pocket.

"Shall we do this?" Jason asked all of us.

Kimberly and I nodded at him.

We were back inside the ship after having met with Zordon and Alpha 5 in what was the control room.

"You need to follow the three rules to being a Power Ranger," Zordon explained, "You must never use your powers for personal gain. You must never escalate a fight, unless your enemy forces you to. And you must never reveal your identity. Ever."

I could tell he was dead serious.

"To assume your Rangers identities, you need to morph," Zordon continued, "Have any of you morphed before.

That was a new one to me. 

"Yes. But only in the shower," Zack joked and the others snickered at his comedic reply.

"Okay, okay. Let's step into the footprints, please," Alpha 5 suggested not finding it funny.

The others and I went over to the platform and stood on the same footprints just like the prior day.

"Standing in this circle as a team, you can easily connect to the morphing grid," Zordon stated, "Do you feel it?"

"Yeah, they do," Alpha 5 answered.

I didn't feel anything different after getting on the footprint.

"No. Not feeling it," Zack remarked.

"You need to morph to get to your armor," Zordon clarified.

"Oh, I knew it! We do get armor," Billy grinned excitedly, "Jason! Aspen! We get armor! Oh, we get armor."

"Cool. Why don't you give us the armor?" Zack inquired glancing at Zordon.

"You already have it inside of you," Zordon replied, "You bring it out by connecting to each other and connecting to the morphing grid. Clear your minds and focus."

The nebula sphere, which was identified as the morphing grid began lighting up.

"Power Rangers were a legion of warriors sworn to protect life," Zordon added.

"Yes!" Alpha 5 sounded stoked.

"You must become those warriors."

"Become the warriors!"

Like we had been told, I tried focusing my mind. Though I had Zordon's suggestion of connecting with the others in thought.

Even though the lights from the grid lit up, nothing happened. Alpha 5 groaned in disappointment.

The others and I turned to each other wondering what was up seeing no changes among ourselves.

"Alpha 5, why didn't they morph?" Zordon asked.

"Yeah, I don't know, sir. It's disturbing," the robot replied, "Very disturbing. This might take some time."

"We don't have time."

"If they can't morph, what are we supposed to do?"

"They'll have to train without armor. They need to prepare."

"Without armor? Sir, that'll be very painful."

I could tell Alpha 5 was concerned for our wellbeing.

"Take them down to the pit," Zordon commanded.

The robot sighed and turned to all of us, "All right, follow me. We're going to the pit!"

"I don't wanna find out what the pit is," Billy turned to me with dread spread across his face.

"Well, we have no other choice," I pointed out, "It may be the only option in fixing the disconnection with the grid."

Billy and I ended up following Alpha 5 along with the others out of the control room.