9.

All of us followed Alpha 5 to a large open chamber underneath the ship.

"So this is the pit," the robot informed our group as if he were a tour guide, "It's nice right?"

"Alpha 5, begin the exercise," Zordon's voice echoed around us.

"Uh...sorry guys."

"What exercise?" Jason wondered in concern.

"Chill out dude," Zack told him.

There was a thud and lights flashed across the ground. Next, the rocks as if they were made of metal magnetically stuck to each other and morphed into what made me think of rock trolls.

"These creatures before you are a simulation of Rita's army," Zordon explained, "They're called putties. You must get through them to get to her." 

Billy looked like he didn't want to confront the rock trolls. Zack tried assuring us that it was all a hologram like in a video game but ended up getting whacked by one of the putties.

"This is why you must morph into your armor," Zordon pointed out, "If Rita becomes strong enough to build her army, it'll be the beginning of the end. Rangers, welcome to training."

"I'm so excited you guys are back," Alpha 5 remarked happily.

All of us got started with enhancing our skills. It was a challenge in taking on the putties since they were made of rock. Alpha 5 pointed out that we needed to have the element of surprise and locate the putties' weak spots.

Days went by, all six of us got the hang of our battle skills. Trying to connect with the morphing grid was hard. Though Zordon advised each of us to think of one another. 

During detention, Kimberly, Jason, Billy, and I threw a note at each other. I read the note when it got thrown at me suggesting that the six of us should start a band. I was never one for grouping feeling inclined to work solo or with a partner occasionally. 

Billy called me over to his place for some assistance. When I got there, I saw he had been working on tracing the location of the Zeo Crystal in an effort to help guard it if Rita got wind of its whereabouts.

As Billy and I walked through town, my best friend was muttering out loud some coordinates that pilots would use for locations. Billy was absorbed in it that he didn't realize he was standing in the middle of the road. I rushed to pull him onto the side when a few drivers got pissed at him. 

"I found it, Aspen," he turned to me after I safely pulled him off the road.

"Found what?" I wondered.

"The Crystal."

He turned to face the Krispy Kreme.

"You gotta be kidding me," I shook my head recognizing the donut shop. Lot of cops dropped by there for coffee and donuts, which decreased criminal activity. 

"I mean, it's buried underneath it," Billy clarified as I followed him.

The murders around town skyrocketed. Dad had been spending the majority of the time at the precinct and having to examine the crime scenes. Reports went on to dub the serial killer Angel Grove's Gold Killer due to gold going missing. Dad told Mitch and me that most of the victims had gold teeth forcefully yanked out either before or after their deaths. Even though my brother and I weren't allowed to know the details, Dad could trust us not to repeat a word.

 Even though my brother and I weren't allowed to know the details, Dad could trust us not to repeat a word

I met up with the others for more training. The six of us followed Alpha 5 as the robot had something to show us.

"If Rita manages to create Goldar," Alpha 5 started to explain to us and turned back, "Are you listening to me?" The rest of us climbed down, "And he rips the crystal from the ground, it'll be like 10,000 nuclear bombs washing over Earth."

"Supposed to freak us out?" Zack wondered.

It all explained everything. Rita was the Gold Killer. She murdered those just to get a piece of gold from the victims.

"You keep making this harder," Jason frowned at the robot, "We're busting our butts. Feel free to throw us a bone at some point."

"Yes, I see you busting your butts," Alpha 5 nodded, "So I've decided to give you some inspiration."

Billy clapped lightly in excitement as all of us started climbing up another rock wall.

"What will you find beyond this wall will forever change your lives," the robot added, "Come on." Alpha 5 gestured for us to follow.

On getting to the top, ahead of us were six ginormous mechanisms that were shaped like various animals, colored like the coins. A red T-Rex, a blue triceratops, a pink pterodactyl, a black mastodon, a yellow saber-tooth tiger, and a purple dire wolf.

"The Zords," Alpha 5 turned to the rest of us, "Pretty cool, right?"

"Yeah," Billy nodded.

"Wicked cool," I grinned.

"They take on the form of the most powerful organism of the planet," Alpha 5 continued, "When these Zords formed, dinosaurs reigned supreme. They will be an extension of you. And their power is all but limitless."

Billy whooped in excitement, "This is so cool," he turned to me.

"I know right," I nodded in agreement with him.

"But you're not ready for this power," Alpha 5 reminded us, "When you morph, your armor will make you one with the Zords. So come on, let's go train. Today's the day you become Rangers! I can feel it!"

I could tell the robot had a ton of confidence in all six of us. So, we ended up following Alpha 5 back into the pit.