1.

The alarm clock on my nightstand buzzed, waking me up. I opened my eyes, tossed over, and read the time, which was about a quarter to seven. Normally on weekends, I sleep in, but this time, I couldn't. I had detention. And no, I never meant to land in it!

It all started when one of the guys at school, who also happened to be one of the football players decided to try and get my attention. Normally, I usually ignored people by either reading or plugging my earphones into my phone or playing a game on my Nintendo 3DS XL. But what happened was the guy snuck up on me and started touching me inappropriately. I used the self-defense method I remembered from the self-defense sessions my dad had me take. It resulted in having that jock's nose broken. I may have punched it too hard! Even though I told the whole truth, later on, I still had to spend my weekend in detention for a month.

 I may have punched it too hard! Even though I told the whole truth, later on, I still had to spend my weekend in detention for a month

I got up, used the bathroom, brushed my teeth, and then got dressed. I checked my backpack for whatever I needed. I didn't have to worry about any homework since I had completed it all during the week. I just had a couple of paperback novels, one of which I read for English. I also included in my bag, a sketchbook, my phone, a USB cord, a portable charger, earphones, coloring pencils, my 3DS XL, including its case, and a few cartridges.

Getting down into the kitchen, Dad was whipping up breakfast. I saw that he was dressed in his police uniform. He worked at the Angel Grove Police Department as a deputy.

My mom died of breast cancer when I was ten. Since then, it had been just Dad, me, and my brother Mitch, who was four years older than me still lived at home, attended classes at the community college, had a part-time job at an auto shop, but had weekends off, which made it easy for him. Sometimes if Dad was on call, Mitch and I would keep ourselves busy with keeping up with the house and doing other things.

"Hey kiddo," he smiled at me.

"Hey Dad," I nodded as I pulled out a mug from one of the cupboards after noticing the coffee maker had already brewed coffee.

"Breakfast's ready."

I saw that he made a huge batch of pancakes with eggs and bacon. I pulled out a bottle of syrup from the fridge. Mitch entered the kitchen and helped himself to some coffee.

"Thanks, Dad," I smiled.

"Thought I'd make your day. It isn't fair that you have detention, even though you defended yourself," he expressed.

"Yeah. I completely lost faith in the school system."

"They're all just a bunch of stuck-up pricks who can't seem to get a clue that anyone has a right to defend themselves if necessary," Mitch remarked recalling his high school days.

Dad nodded agreeing with Mitch and me. He's been trying to talk with the school board about the issue and that I had every right to defend myself since the guy touched me where he wasn't allowed. However, they never got back to him on it. If Mom was still alive, she would've sued Angel Grove High and convinced the school that self-defense was completely necessary.