The singing Blue-Birds

(Tommy's P.O.V.)
"Tommy! Tommy" my brother John called through my house, making Leona pull away from me to walk around my livingroom. Almost as if she wanted to dissapear like a wall flower. Without realising that Leo was here aswell, John began to talk about how Polly, Lizzie, Esmee and some other women went out on strike. He then told me that Poll locked up the bettingshop. "Good friday's are our best days for takings" I said turning my attention to Leona. John had a curious look on his face after seeing her. "all the men get drunk. The races are all fixed. It's like picking apples from the lowest branches. Isn't that right, John?". My brother hummed in agreement. Leo chuckled before signing something. John turned to me in confusion, wandering if I knew what she signed, which I did know for sure. It had something to do with business. She grabbed her notebook and wrote it down before tossing it towards me. I looked down at it and so did John. "So you have an easy business". I chuckled and threw the notebook back at her, which she caught easily. "John, there is a Roll-Royce in the drive. I want you to put a nail in its tire" I told my brother, "it's good friday, so there won't be any garages open. So she will have to spend the night". While I told John this, I noticed Leona writing something down. She turned it around to show us. "I can change my own tire". "Put a nail in all four tires then" I told John. To which Leo pushed herself from my desk and walked over to me. She looked at me through her eyelashes with a daring smile. Before pushing the notebook against my chest and then turning around to walk out my living, with Koda close on her tail. "What did she write?" John questioned after hearing me chuckle. I just turned the notebook to show him. "Put nails in my tires and I'll put a nail in your brother". Even without putting any nails in a tire or my brother. Leona stayed the night in my guest bedroom, with Koda standing guard.

My eyes fluttered open as the ray of sunshine peaked through the curtains. I sat up and rubbed my sleepy eyes before getting out of bed. Heading to the guest room to invite Leona down for breakfast. I knocked on her door, to see if she was awake or give her time to change. But it took long and even after knocking a couple times more with no responce. I opened the door myself. My eyes scanning quickly through the room to spot any sign of Leona, but nothing. I also didn't see Koda around so I questioned if Leo had left through out the night. I felt my heart ache at the thought. With other woman this wouldn't bother me all that much, in fact I would be relieved if they weren't here the next morning. But its different with Leo. I wanted her to be the first person I would see when I would wake up. I pushed the feeling away and walked back through the hallway while putting on my shirt.

"Francine?" I asked seeing the head-maid of my staff, "do you know if Leona left through out the night?"

"Francine?" I asked seeing the head-maid of my staff, "do you know if Leona left through out the night?". I wanted to know , needed to know, if Leona did infact leave. Frances smiled and shook her head while continueing to set the table "Ms Solomons is in the garden". I raised an eyebrow, why would she be in the garden so early. "I do not know why, but when I saw her she looked frightened" Francine told me after spotting my confusion. I turned on my heel to make my way to the garden as fast as I could. The grass was slightly wet, indicating that it had rained during the night. The fresh smell of the wet grass filled my nose senses and I felt my shoulders relax. I also heard the blue-birds sing as the morning slowly crept by. I stopped upon seeing Leona. She was sitting on the ground hunched over as she was hugging her dog tightly. Koda's head was laid on Leo's shoulder. It almost seemed like the dog was consolling her owner. Standing from over here I could see Leona was slightly shaking and breathing hard. Her back rose and fell quickly but soon slowed down as she relaxed after letting out a final deep breath against Koda's neck. It reminded me of a soldier with shell shock and I wandered if this was also what she was expierencing at this moment. Eventually, Leo leaned back, stopping with her hug, but kept petting Koda's chest. When I took a step forward, Koda had noticed me and her head snapped towards me, ready to protect her owner. But going against it as she saw that it was me. Leo noticed me soon aswell, but decided to ignore me as I sat down next to her. Koda laying down between us. "Are you alright?" I asked her breaking the silence that hung around us. I noticed she flinched slightly at the sudden sound but she covered it up quickly before nodding her head. I wanted to ask her what had frightened her. But when opening my mouth to asl her, she put up a hand. Telling me not to talk. To respect her, I nodded and kept quiet.

Meanwhile

(Alfie's P.O.V.)
"I do not understand why she chooses to live in the middle of absolutely fucking nowhere just for some bloody birds" I said stepping out the car that was parked in front of my sister's home in the country. "Just get some birds in a cage" I mumbled. Although, I knew her reason for living in the country for the birds, instead of keeping some in a cage. I turned to look around the driveway as I saw that the driveway had no cars. Not from Leo, not from her house staff.

"Specifically, where is my sister?" I commented looking at the spot she usually parks her beloved car

"Specifically, where is my sister?" I commented looking at the spot she usually parks her beloved car. "Maybe she is already at the warehouse?" Ishmael told me. Me, Tommy and my sister have some business to attend to together. I hummed in responce before turning around on my heels to my car. Normally my sister and I take turns on taking one another to the business meetings if we have one together. This time it was my turn, but considering she wasn't here, I made the decision to go by myself. It didn't take long before I arrived at the warehouse. I saw mt sister prized car parked at the side of my warehouse. Walking inside, I saw her and Tommy talking to each other. Well, she was signing at him, which to my suprise, he begam to understand. As he answered or explained stuff further to my sister. Noticing me, Leo signed a greeting at me before turning back to Tommy to finish their conversation. Then someone called out to Leona wanting her opinion on something, so she gave the two of us a nod before heading over to the person who had called out. Koda following like the loyal dog that she is. Both me and Tommy watched her. "Can I ask you a question about your sister?" Tommy then asked, I nodded at him to continue. Tommy began to explain that he had seen Leo, shaking and hugging Koda. I breathed out a deep sigh before confirming his suspicion that she has shell shock from the war. "She has multiple triggers. Some are worse than others. But the main ones are, thunder and lightning, and dark clouds" I explained, "you know why the thunder and lightning. It can remind a soldier off gunfire or bombs". "And the dark clouds?" He questioned, "it reminds her of the day the gas came down on her and the other soldiers. She will gasp for air or hyperventilate". "And hugging Koda calms her down?", I nodded at him "and so do the singing Blue Birds".

Published: 17th of April 2023