Gentleman's confession

(Leona's P.O.V)
I walked through the town of Small Heath. I had a meeting with a potential new client here. On my way to my meeting I even had to pass the Garrison which is owned by the Shelby family. I might go there after my meeting if I have time. Approaching the main street that lead to the Garrison I heard the loud banging of machinery. My mind instantly flashed back to the war front and I felt myself flinch. Flashes of gas covering the battle field, fear in my comrades eyes, alot of blood and corpses everywhere. I knew it was just my mind playing tricks on me but it felt like I was back on the frontline. Back where I saw soldiers running to me, ready to kill me. I just snapped myself out of my trance in time before accidentally killing a woman that stood in front of me. She looked me up and down like I was crazy, before shaking her head and mumbling something while walking away. I caught my breath, trying to calm myself down while mentally cursing myself out for freaking out. I took in a deep sigh before continuing my way onto the street. Coming onto the street, I realized I was not the only one freaking out over the loud bangs. There was a white horse with a rider that got scared of it aswell. Coming closer, I noticed it was Tommy who was the rider. The horse reared up at another bang and soon enough Tom dismounted to calm the horse down. "In France we used to say, its just the music hall band turning up. It's just trombones and tubas, that's all. It's just noise". I watched as the horse calmed down as he heard Tom's calming voice.

 I watched as the horse calmed down as he heard Tom's calming voice

"Its just noise. You get used to it. Good boy. Good boy" he whispered to him. Tommy then noticed me "the loud bangs scared him". I nodded as I walked up to the two "he's not the only one" I signed at him. Tommy has gotten rather good with sign language, so now I can sign everything as long as I still keep it simple for the meantime. He gave me a small smile in understanding. I turned to the horse which still seemed tense. But did put his nose forward to great me. I lifted my hand up to his forehead, before rubbing small circles on his forehead. He relaxed with a deep sigh almost falling asleep and I let out a small chuckle. Eventually I lowered my hand and turned back to Tommy who looked at me with a questionable look. "It relieves stress. Look" I signed before lifting my hand up to his forehead. I put my index fingers between his eyebrows, where the nose bridge meets the brow bone, before slowly rubbing circles. Instantly, I noticed his shoulder muscles relax. I pulled my hand back "see? Same for humans and horses". He laughed before offering to walk with me. "Does he have a name?" I signed at him, to which Tommy shook his head "no, he doesn't". "A gentleman like him deserves a name" I told him. Tommy thought for a second but never gave me a name he wanted the horse to have. I patted the horse his neck, earning a friendly nudge from the horse. Suddenly, some dirty water got thrown right in front of me, Tommy and the gentle horse. "I'm so sorry, Mr Shelby" a blond woman said walking out the door. Although I was the closest to her, it was clear she did not care for me. Blatantly ignoring me. Tommy gave a quick glance in my direction to see if I had gotten covered in the dirty water, but turned back when he saw that I was alright. "I'm Grace by the way" she then told him. "I know who you are" Tommy replied. I felt a pang of jealousy strike my heart but cover it up. "What's his name?" She asked the same question I had recently asked. Again Tommy gave a glance my way before answering her question while signing the word aswell "his name is Gentleman". I smiled softly when I heard him confirm that the chosen name was something I had signed about the horse. "Gentleman, what a fitting name" Grace said looking towards the horse. "Do you have something to say to me? Or may we continue" Tom said and gestured between himself and I. Her eyes turned to me. She let out a soft gasp as if now realizing I was here aswell. "My apologies, Ms?" She said and extended her hand out to me. I ignored it and signed at her "Leona Solomons". She gave me the familiar confused look that everyone has when seeing me sign and then turned towards Tommy. Its funny, he seemed annoyed that she didn't understand me. Yet a couple of months ago he was in the same place that Grace was in now. "This is Leona Solomons" Tommy introduced me. Yet I still refused to shake her hand as she held it once again out to me. I had turned to Tommy to tell him that I had to go to my meeting. He nodded before telling Grace we had to leave. He also had no desired to stay here with Grace. We continued our way passed the Garrison. "Which way do you need to go?" He questioned me, "right" I signed. "Then our ways split here" he told me, "seems so" I signed back. "Come down to the Garrison if you have time afterwards. I'll buy you a drink" he told me as he mounted Gentleman. "I might take you up on that offer". He smiled before giving me a nod and then riding off.

My meeting went well, mainly because the agreed to do business together. And I felt like a celebration. After all, it was a big company, so having them would give good business. I actually did not want to go to the Garrison knowing that Grace works there. But I also didn't know any other pubs in Small Heath. So I made my way to the Garrison. Walking inside, I instantly smelled the cigarettes and felt pain begin to grow in my throat. I shoved the pain down, after all its not my pub so I don't make the rules, and then walked over towards the bar. I saw Grace and male bartender. I approached the man who immidiatly greeted me "what can I do for you ma'am?". Even knowing that he probably doesn't understand sign language, I still signed at him. "Mr Shelby said that you might come" he said friendly before motioning to his left "he's in the private room". I nodded a thank you and then made my way to the private room. Opening the door and walking in, I was met with a smoking Tommy. "You want me to open a window?" He questioned immediatly standing up. I chuckled and nodded while taking a seat. He moved and opened the window beside him. "Thank you" I signed as he sat down with a proud smile.

 "Thank you" I signed as he sat down with a proud smile

"How did your meeting go?" He questioned with interest. I smiled at him and he laughed understanding that it went perfect. "Well, let's make a toast, aye" he said leaning forward to pour me a whiskey and then handing it to me. I retrieved it from him and clinked my glass to his and then took a drink. I blew out a breath, soothing the burning sensation. Unlike the smoke of ciggarettes, alchol, for some reason, does not have the same effect of bringing pain. It just brings a burn, but its a warm burn and feels somewhat comfortable. But it then got interupted by Grace walking inside with a bottle of alchol. Tommy moved his eyes to look into her direction and ones again that jealous feeling crept into my heart. With a simple nod Tommy thanked her before she headed back towards the bar. Tommy turned back to me and raised a cheeky eyebrow "are you jealous, Leona?". I gave him a harsh glare, not caring that he was right. "Why should I be jealous of a flawless woman like her" I signed and you could tell I was annoyed by my face. He shrugged his shoulders and laughed "I don't know. But you are wrong about her. She is not flawless". "She's pretty fucking close, though" I signed and if I was talking I would've growled basically. "I suppose" he simply replied. My heart stung with pain when he said that. "You suppose? She is-" I began to sign but he cut me off "She is not you". I stayed still for a second before signing one simple word, wanting to know if I heard him correctly "What?". He leanes forward onto the table "She. Is. Not. You". It felt like my heart was going to explode at his words. "You are the person that I crave" he slides a hand towards me, "I would be a liar if I say that I craved you since we first met. Because I didn't. But I did ever since our first kiss. And now I crave so much more that just your physical touch. I crave your language and your depth. I crave who you are and where you came from, your desires and your fear. I yearn to know every inch of you that lays beyond your surface". I stayed silent as I tried to proces his words. Not being able to move after hearing his confession. It's funny how fast my heart raced and how fast my breathing was at his words. "Leo" Tommy softly spoke and you could hear his nerves coming up and his eyes where filled with worry, "please sign something". My eyes connected to his blue eyes. And I have no doubt the anticipation was killing him. Then I lifted my hands to sign my answer to him.

Published: 22nd of April 2023