Chapter 15

"Dr. Kim." Jennie greets sitting down tiredly in the chair.

"You can still call me mum you know." Abby says diverting her eyes momentarily away from the computer screen to look at her daughter. "You look exhausted." Abby says at the very moment Jennie decides to break out into a very satisfying stretch.

"God, I am." Jennie pouts blinking her eyes awake more rapidly to focus on her mother. "I didn't get time to nap before I left, so in two hours I will officially have been awake for twenty four hours." Jennie says more sleep deprived than she's ever been. "My feet hurt, my eyes are sore and I'm so hungry I can feel my fat evaporating from my body."

"Welcome to the life of a doctor." Abby laughs tapping at her keyboard without even looking.

"The life of a doctor I can handle! The life of a doctor, student and part time worker I cannot." Jennie breathes.

"Mum."

"Yeah?"

"Feed me!" Jennie pleads pushing her lip into the deepest of pouts.

"Your shift finished five minutes ago." Abby grins while looking at her watch.

"I know but I thought I'd come say hi, and thank you for all this." Jennie breathes.

"I didn't do anything, you're a good doctor and you work very hard every day." Abby admits proudly with a shrug. No matter what Abby says Jennie knows she's the reason she's got her foot in the door without working full time. Not many hospitals would hire someone a doctor with a contract for one day a week due to studying and having a part time job. "Although I don't understand why you don't just work here properly while studying."

"You know why." Jennie huffs having gone through the story a thousand times. "The working hours here are too demanding. I don't want to go home every night feeling exhausted only to then have to keep myself awake to study just so I don't fail my exams." Jennie says pulling herself forward of the chair. "It's easier this way, I work a few hours a day at a good easy job, so when I go to school I'm awake and focused not debating pinning my eyes open just so I don't miss anything. I'm happy this way."

"Ok." Abby says like she always does allowing her daughter to do what feels best, even if she doesn't understand it.

"Anyway, I better go but I'll see you Thursday."

"You will be working alongside Kai actually, but i'll give you a call in the week." Abby says while watching her daughter pull the door open. "Get some rest."

"I will. Love you mum."

"Love you too honey."

As Jennie pulled the ugly blue top from her body she clicked her phone alight to see if she had any messages. When nothing appeared on her phone she sniggered a laugh to herself while dropping her phone back in the locker to get changed properly. Jennie couldn't decide if she was slightly relieved that it seemed Lisa hadn't actually woken up for their breakfast date or gutted because...

1. She looked exhaustingly tired, which certainly wasn't a 'let's keep dating look.

2. God, she was so hungry.

Jennie slammed her locker door closed throwing her scarf around her neck while happily waving bye to her co-workers on her way out, ready to text Lisa with a teasing text about not being awake. "Dr. Kim." came a familiar voice that had brown eyes looking up instantly from her phone.

"Lisa." Jennie breathes her eyes narrowing in confusion as her head tilts to the side. There Lisa stood wrapped in a light brown long sophisticated coat holding two warm beverages. "I thought you were going to text?" Jennie says already biting her bottom lip as she steps closer to the her.