Chapter 33

"You here again?" Bert questions cheekily climbing the breakfast table.

"Lovely to see you too!" Lisa breathes ruffling his hair until he's pushing her hand away.

"Bert." Rose warns turning away from the stove to scold her son. "What have i told you about manners."

"It's fine." Lisa assures turning back to her sister with a sad smile.

"Go set up the table." Rose orders. "And wash your hands first please. Thank you." She shouts Bert already long gone.

"He's growing up to quickly." Lisa laughs.

"He's too cheeky for his own good." Rose says with a stern look, but Lisa can see the fondness hidden in her eyes as they briefly flicker to where Bert disappeared. "Speaking of, this is the third night in a row, as much as i love your company i can't help but wonder if something is wrong?" Rose questions throwing the tea towel over her shoulder as she grabs her glass of wine and takes a more than generous swig. Lisa does the same not sure if she really wants to have this conversation right now.

"It's nothing." Lisa shrugs sucking in her bottom lip to lick the wine from her lips. "I'm fine."

"Spill." Rose says after a moment leaning against the kitchen side. Lisa can't help but notice she's wearing her mum look, the look she's sure no mum can be rid of once they've had a child. "What's going on?"

"It's nothing." Lisa shrugs once more. "I just... It feels too quiet at home." She says staring in to her wine glass. It's silly really but she can't help how she feels. Jennie had been working at the hospital now for a little over seven weeks and things had changed rather quickly. It wasn't world ending kind of change, but a change Lisa was struggling to get use to. Jennie shifts would change from week to week but more often than not Jennie would do twelve hour shifts four days a week with three days off. The first week went fine they met for lunch every chance they got, exchanged texts through out the day and kissed each other like they hadn't seen each other for days when they finally got home.

Lisa could have quite easily gotten use to that.

So she thought.

As the weeks passed Lisa noticed the little things that she adored slip away. She came home to a quiet apartment more often than not, Jennie would either be asleep or working the night shift which meant Lisa wouldn't see her till the following night as Lisa would leave for work as Jennie came home. The texts slowly came to a minimum but still Lisa's heart pounded with every one she received. She missed having Jennie talking to her about something on the telly as she was trying to focus, she missed seeing cat eyes tear up as she watched RSPCA. She missed the fun, bouncy, hyper Jennie that never shut up and asked stupid stuff that always had Lisa rolling her eyes or laughing.

"You miss her." Rose says softly and Lisa can do nothing but nod because she does, god she does. "I barely see her." Lisa admits taking a larger mouthful of wine than necessary.

"I hate to say it Lisa, but what did you expect?" Rose questions as Lisa faces her sister. "She's a surgeon and as much as it pains me to say it and trust me it really does." Rose says light heartedly trying to lighten the mood. "She's pretty important and im sure constantly in demand for something."

"I have no idea." Lisa sighs flopping against the kitchen counter and letting all the stress over take her body. "I know i'm being ridiculous." Lisa admits putting her glass back on the table. "But i can't help how i feel. I'm so proud of her like you wouldn't believe but then i also miss her like crazy." Lisa breathes mentally torn from what emotion is actually winning right now. "When i come home and she's actually there she's already asleep and i get it i do, i would be exhausted too if i were her but then i just want a cuddle or i don't know a chat i just... i just want to feel like she's there with me."