Chapter 37

If there is anything Lisa has learnt about hospitals it's that the chairs are nowhere near comfortable enough to be sitting on for a long period of time. It's only been twenty minutes and already she can feel a twinge in the middle of her spine causing her to shift uncomfortably more than once, and it's not like anyone can blame her bad posture because let's be honest it's near perfection.

"Lisa is it?"

At the mention of her name Lisa's back straightens in the god forsaken chair as she looks up to see who it is.

Kai.

She doesn't much like him, but then she doesn't much care for him either.

"Hello." Lisa settles for because he knows exactly who she is. "Kai right?" She questions smiling politely. It's forced and not at all genuine but she knows Kai won't notice the difference.

"You waiting on Jennie? She's just in surgery at the moment."

"That's ok, I'll wait." She breathes looking down the corridor at an old man barely taking baby steps in the opposite direction. Her brows furrow on their own, because surely someone should be helping an elderly man to their destination if he's walking like that.

"She could be hours you know?" Kai's voice pulls her attention back to him, part of her struggling to understand what he's talking about because she thought their conversation was over.

"I know. I'm fine to wait." Lisa repeats until Kai's nodding at her yet he still doesn't move.

"She's a great girl, Jennie i mean." It's instantaneous how Lisa's back goes up. "Incredible surgeon too." He beams. Lisa studies him, she studies him like she has done on many occasions because there are many reasons why she doesn't like him and none of them have anything to do with the stories Jennie comes home and shares. It's obvious he's an incredible doctor Jennie had said it on many occasions, she's expressed how he never cracks under pressure, how they work side by side alot and despite being very different in life stuff on their operating table they think the same. Jennie has a lot of respect for him in that aspect and on some level so does Lisa because she's not ignorant enough to know that their work is no walk in the park. She respects him as a professional but right now she doesn't see him being professional at all. She see's the tilt of a smile on his lips, she see's the honesty behind dark eyes as he eyes Lisa.

"She is." Lisa admits easily because Jennie is nothing short of amazing. When Lisa finally stands and walks towards Kai she never stops studying him but she also allows her stare to speak for itself. "I hear you're quite the doctor too." Lisa let's it hang like bait, testing his reaction. She's not blind, she never has been, on many occasions when she's showed up at the hospital to pick her girlfriend up Kai's been lingering somewhere in the back with wondering eyes, sometimes cheeky enough to crack a joke which was in no way funny or appropriate. She's told herself she's a professional and won't respond because each time she's the one walking out with Jennie hand in hand, she's the one who gets sleepy kisses as they enter the car and the one who get's half her breakfast stole from her plate while Jennie speaks through food.

His smile is wide and for a second he looks to the floor before meeting Lisa's gaze once more.

"You don't like me very much do you?" He asks not at all intimidated but also not cocky.

She could lie. She could be a professional like her posture tells everyone, like her face has mastered however.

"Not particularly, no." Lisa doesn't falter even by a single twitch as her eyes trace his features.

"You're jealous?" Kai frowns with a hint of a smile at the corner of his lips. Lisa barely blinks at his accusation but instead chooses to allow Kai to see what she really thinks, her lips pull in to an amused smile.