Chapter 20

Autumn POV:

The office building is getting hotter, and so is the weather outside.

When the weather heats up as May rolls around, I find myself in solitude at my desk.

With, of course, the ac blasting on full volume.

But even with the air conditioning providing cold air into my office, I still think about the texts that were sent to Damian that night.

When I woke up that following morning, I couldn't bring myself to talk or even look at Damian, because if I did, I knew I would automatically ask him about his brother and what was going on between them.

But I know that wouldn't be fair considering what is happening with Matthew and that whole situation.

So I wordlessly left his apartment, leaving a text behind, and remained in my apartment for the rest of the weekend.

But so badly, I wanted to tell him how tired I am, how little motivation I have to do anything because of this, it's pulling me down and it's not stopping anytime soon.

I can't just dump all my problems onto him, no matter how badly I wanted to, I just want to talk to someone about this without feeling any guilt or regret of oversharing.

But I can't just do that, especially when he probably has his problems to sort out as well.

And my parents would become more enraged and worry for me even more than they should. And I definitely wouldn't want that.

I sigh as I remender what a random man had said to me years ago when I was a girl scout selling store bought cookies. It only gets tougher from here.

And at that, he bought my whole wagon of cookies.

I didn't think much about it at the time, only the fact that I won and I got a badge and some small prize.

I never thought that phrase would really apply to me, sure I knew life is going to get difficult at some point, but I never thought it would be this difficult, other than the fact that I would have to work the rest of my life and have my money get taken away by the government.

But that's the cost of existing.

I lean back into my chair as the texts from Damian's phone won't leave my head, I don't know but something about them seemed so passive aggressive, like a hint of what's really going on.

Like his brother is holding something against him, almost like a guilty thing.

As I thought about it more and more, (and failing miserably to get any work done) Piper knocked on the door famed, popping her head in.

"There is someone here to see you, at the lobby" She said whilst smiling, knowing her, she is probably going to ask what this one is about because of last time.

I thanked her as I got up from my desk and made my way over to the lobby. As I walked all the way to the lobby, I silently prayed that no one that knows Matthew or is related to him is going to show up.

As I would probably guess, it would be Matthew's dad, he is the type of person who will not talk to anyone unless he is defending his wife and son, or Matthw's mother makes him talk to people to try and scare them.

That would be the only person visiting me during this hour, probably to try and bride me.

I rounded the corner leading to the front lobby, coming up with my speech in my head. Please leave me alone, I'm just trying to live my life and blah blah blah, probably going to use the same lines for when I met Elizabeth.