12

The girl was sure that she and Jay would find out for themselves. They only had themselves and could not trust anyone. The two of them had to do it alone and sooner or later they would do it alone

----

The doorbell rang and the girl opened it. 

"Hey, how are you?" Jay asked. The girl let him in and locked the door again. "It's alright. I was about to tidy up my father's office." "Am I disturbing you?" he asked uncertainly. The girl shook her head "I really need to talk to you anyway and besides I missed you". Jay smiled slightly "I missed you too". 

She took Jay's hand and walked him into her father's office. Jay sat down on one of the armchairs and watched the girl pacing back and forth as she talked. "A man came up to me this morning. He said he had information on the shooter. He said he was a private investigator but I refused his services. He seemed weird, I didn't trust him. I hope that wasn't a mistake," she sighed. "Hey," Jay interrupted. She looked at him questioningly. "Calm down. If you had a bad feeling, it's a good thing you rejected him. Come here," he said softly.  The girl took a deep breath and walked over to Jay. He took her hand and gently pulled her onto his lap. Her expression softened. 

"He said the shooter was hooded. He could see the shooter getting into your parents' car but that doesn't make any sense," she explained. Jay nodded "they were alone in the car when..." he paused "when they died" he then said more quietly. Y/n put her hand on the back of his neck and gently ran her fingers back and forth along his hairline. "We'll find out who did all this," Y/n assured and Jay nodded. 

"Wait a minute," Y/n said when she noticed something. She got up and walked over to the shelf. There was a box there that she had never noticed before. She took out the box and placed it on the desk. "What is that?" asked Jay who now appeared next to her. "We'll see about that in a moment, I have no idea". She lifted the lid and realized that there were many letters, all from the same sender. The paper was always the same. 

She opened one of the letters and began to read. Jay also read what was written. "Shit" the girl said when she was done. "It's a threatening letter" Jay said and Y/n nodded "Dad never told me anything" she said stunned. 

They took out other letters. All were terrible threats.
"If you don't sell your hotel, not only will your wife have died," Y/n read in shock. "I'm going to make your life hell. You don't deserve your success," Jay read, just as shocked. "The first letter was sent a week after my mother died," the girl realized. Jay held out a letter to the girl "This is from three weeks ago."
The girl read the lines "This is my final warning. We'll make sure you can't stop us from destroying your hotel!" Her fingers trembled. "The person made it," Jay said then, putting his hand on the girl's back. She nodded and dropped the letter on the desk where the other letters lay. "They won't stop until they kill me too," the girl then realized. Jay turned her to him "I won't let that happen. I'll get you the best bodyguards in the country. I'll kill that person myself if I have to," he said angrily. The girl took his hands "what if they don't just want to do this with me?" she asked worried. "Did your parents receive letters like this too?" she asked. Jay looked at her "I...I don't know". She looked at him urgently "we have to check!". Jay nodded "You're right. Take your father's letters with you!" he said and Y/n nodded.

It was already late but the two could not sleep now. They immediately went to Jay's and went in search of similar letters there. 

"Jay" called the girl then. When he got to her office, she held out a letter that was still closed, but the envelope looked exactly the same. Jay swallowed and took the letter. He opened it and read it. "It says exactly the same thing as my father's. It's also from three weeks ago. That evening our parents died," the girl said and Jay nodded. "They received the same letters," Jay realized. "So now we know for sure that it was the same people who killed our parents," Y/n noted. 

"Is that the only letter you could find?" Jay then asked and the girl nodded. "Perhaps your father threw away the old letters?" asked the girl. Jay shook his head "he never threw away letters". "Then let's keep looking," she determined. 

They searched the whole office. Suddenly Jay said something, "The locked drawer!" he exclaimed. Jay quickly ran into his parents' bedroom and Y/n followed him. There was a chest of drawers and the top right drawer was locked. "Do you know where the key is?" the girl asked but Jay shook his head. He looked around the room. "I've wondered all my life what he's hiding in there. Not even mom knew," Jay said. 

Y/n walked over to him. She put her hands on his cheeks "let's continue tomorrow. It's really late and there's nothing more we can do. Tomorrow we'll continue with a clear head, okay?"Jay sighed and finally nodded. The girl could understand how he felt. She wanted to find out too, but they had to keep their heads straight. They weren't allowed to get emotional. 

"Let's go to sleep" she said lovingly. Jay nodded. He grabbed the girl and carried her to his room.

 "I'm glad you weren't in the car," she said as the two lay in Jay's bed. "I'm glad you didn't get shot," he said. "I really didn't think I would ever kiss you. But you made me fucking crazy about you" Jay whispered and the girl giggled lightly "there's so much shit happened in my life. I never thought I'd say that being close to my rival is the best feeling in the world".