23

"We'll be careful."Jay nodded slowly. He knew he could trust Y/n, just like she trusted him.

----

Y/n smiled softly and moved closer to him. "Jay, I miss the feeling of normalcy."Jay returned her smile. "Yes... But Y/n, to be honest, nothing has ever been normal in our relationship." Y/n laughed quietly. "You're right, Jay."
Y/n leaned closer to Jay and he took her into his arms. The warmth of his body and the familiar scent calmed her.
She kissed him gently and felt her worries melt away for a moment.Jay smiled against her lips and whispered,
"We're a team, Y/n. No matter what happens, we'll get through this together."

The warm, muted light from the lamp created a cozy atmosphere.
Y/n's head leaned against Jay's chest and she felt his calming heartbeat. She closed her eyes.Jay gently stroked Y/n's hair. It felt like they momentarily forgot all the fears and worries of the day. Only here and now, in each other's arms, could they find, for a moment, the peace they had missed so much.
The minutes passed.
 But suddenly Jay's expression changed. A look of realization washed over him and he stood up hastily, leaving Y/n confused.

"What's wrong, Jay?" she asked worriedly as he rushed to his parents' office. "I forgot something, Y/n. Something that can answer all of our questions," Jay replied hastily.

He knew exactly what he was looking for. His father had hidden a key in a small compartment under his father's desk. This key opened a drawer that his father had told him not to open unless something happened to him. Jay was little then. He hadn't thought anything of it.

Jay searched the compartment and finally found the hidden key. With shaking hands, he hurried back to the living room, where Y/n was waiting for him with eager anticipation.He showed her the key and explained, "My father told me that this key belonged to a special drawer. He said I should only open it when he's gone. I never thought about it until now."
-Jay and Y/n stared at the small key in Jay's hand. He inserted the key, turned it carefully and heard the click as the compartment unlocked.The drawer opened and Y/n and Jay looked at a stack of documents and photos. In the middle of the documents was a photo of four men dressed in military uniform. Jay carefully lifted the photo and saw that the men were their fathers, Mary's father, and Smith. The men stood in front of a large flag and proudly held their weapons.
The photo was dated 1985.

Y/n studied the photo just as carefully as Jay. "Our parents were in the military?"Jay nodded and put the photo aside to examine the other documents. There were reports, records and letters all pointing to a secret military unit.

Jay and Y/n came across the name of this unit: "Delta Force".
The reports mentioned a secret mission called "Operation Delta."
Jay swallowed hard. "That explains why our fathers spoke so little about their past. This mission appears to have been top secret." Y/n nodded. "But what does all this have to do with the murders and disappearance of Mary's parents?"

The mission aimed to collect information about arms shipments and illegal human trafficking. The grim details of the mission became increasingly clear. The men had hidden the truth about their past from their families to protect them. The mission had led to conflicts that threatened their security. But the biggest secret had not yet been revealed.

In another document they found a reference to a "final mission".
There were no further details about what happened on this mission or who was involved. But it was clear that this was an incident that had changed them all.

Jay looked at Y/n worriedly. "The last mission... What happened on this mission?"Y/n put the documents aside and looked at Jay seriously.

"We need to find out what happened on that last mission. It could hold the answers to all our questions. And the only person who knows what happened and is still alive is Smith..."
Jay swallowed, "and now he is too disappeared. He is in danger.
 If Smith dies, we will never know what really happened."

a/n: 
Guess what, I am alive. 
I sincerely apologize for my inactivity and for this short chapter. You people who follow me on Instagram know how busy and, above all, stressed I am at the moment. I am sure that this will be my last chapter for this year and I will not find much time for this story next year either. I am eternally grateful for all the loyal readers among you and I will definitely come back. But for now and the coming months, I will put this story on pause. I promise with all my heart and honesty that I will finish this project. But now I'm finishing school and I hope you're not disappointed. I am grateful for every reader.

 I love you, your Mije <3