Chapter 8

Hailey's P.O.V.

I quickly ran to where all of my many suits were so that I could store James' sweatshirt there. I was still wearing the suit from before. I tucked James' dog tags under my shirt before going to find Steve.

"Where did Tony go?" I asked once I found Steve at an opening where the ship blew up.

Right at that moment, Tony flew up in his Iron Man suit. He looked around before he must have said something to Steve through an ear piece and flew away. Steve turned to me.

"I have to go pull that lever. Come with in case there's an issue," Steve said. I nodded and we swung on a broken part and got to where the red lever was.

"When are you supposed to pull it?" I asked, looking around.

"When Tony tells me to. Crap! There's people here!" Steve asked and not too long later maybe four people came and started shooting at us.

"Where did they come from?!" I asked, jumping out of the way as someone shot at me.

"Stay here! When he gives the signal, I'll yell at you to pull the lever," Steve said before he went to fight the people. I stayed by the lever and watched as Steve fought.

My eyes widened when suddenly he was thrown out. He was holding onto something. I was about to go help him, but he stopped me.

"Go pull the lever!" Steve yelled, trying to pull himself up. I looked towards the lever and looked back at him.

"I have to save you!" I yelled back. Steve shook his head.

"Don't worry about me! Pull the lever!" Steve yelled. I scoffed.

"Don't you remember? This is how I lost James! I can't lose you, too!" I exclaimed. Steve just glared at me.

"You won't lose me! Pull the lever now!" Steve demanded. I hesitated before finally turning and pulling the lever. I turned back around just as Steve got up.

"It's about time you pulled that lever!" Tony said from behind me. He had gotten back from wherever he had gone.

"Sorry, Steve was almost flung off of the ship!" I exclaimed.

"I told her to pull the lever, but she wouldn't for a while," Steve said, me turning to face him.

"I didn't want to lose you like I did James! You're all I have left, Steve, I was scared," I said, tears filling my eyes. Steve sighed, bringing me in for a hug.

"I know. I'm sorry, I really am. I'll try to be more careful, but it'll be hard to," Steve said before pulling away. He put his hand on my face and wiped my tears.

"Alright, lovebirds, let's go see what else is wrong," Tony said, landing next to us. I rolled my eyes.

"We're not lovebirds, tin can," I said, Tony turning to glare at me before smiling.

"Whatever, Invisalign. Let's go," Tony said, leading the way to where we expected to see everyone.

Then suddenly Steve and Tony stopped walking, sad looks on their faces. I looked at them confused.

"What's wrong? What is it?" I asked. I hadn't gotten an earpiece put into my suit I suppose. I thought I remember having one in earlier but it must have either broken or I removed it.

"Agent Coulson..." Steve said, trailing off. I looked at him, expecting him to continue.

"What is it? What happened to him?" I asked, starting to get impatient.

"He's dead...Loki killed him with his scepter," Steve said. I froze, staring at him with wide eyes.

"I-I thought he was locked away?" I asked, my voice cracking.

"He got out when he was fighting Thor. He sent Thor down in the cage, nobody knows where he is or if he even got out," Steve explained quietly. I looked at the ground, processing the news.

"He was so excited to meet you," I whispered.

"Come on, guys, let's go find everyone else," Tony said, walking away. Steve and I wordlessly followed him.

We made it to the main room where Maria, Nick, and Natasha were. I sat down next to Natasha and stared at the table. I hadn't even realized everyone else had been talking. I zoned out during the whole conversation until something took my attention.

"I guess he never did get you to sign them," Nick said, plopping down a stack of bloody Captain America trading cards. My heart broke when I saw them.

Steve picked one up and turned it around in his fingers as Nick and Maria walked away. I went back to zoning out while staring at the table.

"Come on, get ready Hailey. We're gonna go fight Loki," Steve said, bringing me out of my daze.

"Oh, okay. I guess I can try. I just don't trust that something won't go wrong if I'm there. Something always goes wrong when I'm there," I said, looking up at Steve.

"Fine. If you don't want to come help, then don't. Just at least think about it. We'll be leaving within the next hour," Steve said, putting his hand on my shoulder before walking away.

I stared where he went while thinking.

Every time I help fight, something bad happens. The last time, James had died. What if Steve dies this time? Or Natasha? Tony?

I don't know what I'd do with myself if one of them died.

But I also wouldn't know what to do with myself if they died because just one person wasn't there when they should've been. I could be the person that could save someone from dying.

But I could also accidentally cause it. Or fail to rescue them from death.

I just don't know what to do. I hate making these kind of decisions.

A/n,

Here's a new chapter! What do you think she should do? Think about the pros and cons. It is a hard decision for her to make! Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed!