26.

All rights reserved...@brightlights101

Since the butt-crack of dawn, Andrea's mother has been running around like she was a chicken with her head cut off. Andrea doesn't think she's seen her mother once sit down for more than five minutes. The woman was driving herself crazy.

Every time a nurse came in, she demanded to know what they were doing and when she could talk with her doctor. Even though she literally just talked to her 30 minutes ago. This woman just can't be satisfied.

"Mama," Andrea weakly calls. She doesn't stop pacing. She calls out again. "Mama."

Nothing.

Luciana was pacing the room, talking on her phone, updating everyone. She was certain there was at least five different people on her line with how many times she's had to repeat herself.

Reaching over to grab her cup of ice chips, Andrea takes one and throws it at the back of her mothers head. It gets stuck in her hair. She throws another, this time it slid down her back. The woman shrieks at the sudden cold she was feeling trickling down her spine.

She hops around trying to shake it out. But the sound of her daughters laughter catches her ears. To Luciana it sounded like music. She completely forgets the ice that is melting down her back.

Putting down her phone she sits down next to her and takes her hand, with a broken smile. "Oh, Andrea," she croaks.

"Mama, everything's okay." Andrea weakly smiles.

"No, Andrea," her bottom lip quivers. "Nothing's okay."

Andrea squeezes her hand, knowing her mother was right but she had to stay strong. She was scared that if she cracked she could never be put back.

"Patrizio," Luciana snaps.

"Huh!" He jumps in his chair, having been totally focused on the show that was playing on the small tv.

"Tuck her side in," she orders, seeing that the blanket was loose on his side.

Patrizio doesn't waste a second and does as he's told.

"Andrea," Isabella and Leone, her grandparents come in with slow shuffles and wary smiles not knowing what their granddaughter may look like.

The moment their eyes met their granddaughters beaten up appearance they had suppressed their shocked expressions. They looked devastated and heartbroken. They never wanted to see any of their grandkids hurt.

As they got closer, she saw her nonno carrying four grocery bags. Andrea tilts her head to the side curiously.

"We have something for you," her nonna smiles.

They lay the bags on top of her, one by one.

Andrea was eager to know what it was. She tries to sit up, but is immediately met with shooting pain from her left side.

Immediately her parents jumped up onto their feet, trying to get her to take it easy and lay down. But of course she was stubborn.

"I just need to sit up," she explains.

Knowing she wasn't going to give up, Luciana takes the controller that is used for the bed and leans her foreword.

As she's comfortably sat up, Andrea opens the first bag. Her mouth slightly parts open and her eyes widen. She reaches inside and pulls out a set of knitted booties.

She holds them gently in her hands. Tears free fall down her face. She always wondered what her nonna was knitting and now she knew.

"I can make more," her nonna promises.