Chapter 25 without her

Romeo's POV

On the car ride to the hospital I desperately hold onto Athena's hand. I look over to see her eyes flutter shut as her body fights with itself.

No love, you can't close your eyes, you can't.

She gives me i little nod before opening her eyes again, after a few seconds they start to close again.
The last thing she says is, I can't do it anymore. Im too tried.

No! Athena you can't closes your eyes! please!

I'm sorry Romeo, she says before she becomes completely unresponsive.

Dante! Call the surgeon right now!

He nods before franticly searching for a phone. He dials the surgeons  number, it rings out for a few seconds making me feel nauseous. After the phone rang out four times the surgeon finally picked up.

Hello, what seems to be the problem?

We're coming to the hospital right now, Athena started coughing up blood! I yell into the phone stepping on the gas.

Was she moving around this morning?

Yes, I tried to stop her but she insisted on it.

She could have punched a lung, with her broken ribs! I told you and her she was not to move under any circumstances!

Will she be okay?! I hear Dante question from the back seat.

If there's already blood in her lungs it's highly unlikely. She need immediate medical attention.

FUCK! I yell slamming my fist into the steering wheel. We'll be at the hospital in about 4 minutes, I hang up the phone and hit the gas more than I thought was possible. It's gonna be okay love, I say rubbing her thigh. I can't help but think that once again this is my fault, I should have sent her home.

We arrive at the private hospital where the stretcher is already at the front waiting for us. I hurry out of the car and grab Athena out of the passengers side and bring her to the stretcher. I see her eyes flutter open as the doctors start running the stretcher into the surgery room.

Sir I'm gonna have to ask you to stay here now, one of the interns orders.

I'm not fucking leaving her, I yell. I feel Dane wrap his arms around me holding me back. The doctors take this as there chance and rush my love away. The last thing I hear is the faintest voice from Athena.

I love you Romeo, she whispers as she try's to smile but instead just makes her cough up more blood. I try desperately to get away from Dante but to no avail. Once she's out of site I can't handle it anymore more, I drop down to the group clutching my stomach.

I feel hot tears fall from my eyes, I feel like someone has there hands around my throat. I can't breath, I feel sick to my stomach. I don't know how'll I live if she's not with me, I need her. She's my better half.

Dante eventually pulls me off the floor and to a waiting chair. I sit there with my head in my hands and my heart on my sleeve.

Do you want some food boss? Dante try's to offer me a hospital sandwich, I sake my head no, the thought of food makes me want to vomit. After four hours I feel like fucking shit without my love beside me. It makes me think about the feeling of her sleeping body pressed safely against mine, her heart beat calm and steady like a still lake on a spring morning. The way she plays with the hair at the nape of my neck, it's the most oddly comforting feeling in the world. Her child like grin after she's done something bad, the smell of her soft brown hair. The way she'd fall asleep on my chest reading a book, the way she cares for everyone around her.