Chapter 23

"People will
believe anything
if you whisper it."

➳➳➳➳➳┄┄※┄┄➳➳➳➳➳

The morning after the duelling club's first lesson, Harry found himself shunned by his fellow students. They cast fearful glances in his direction, whispering amongst themselves, and hurried away whenever he drew near. It was as if they believed he was carrying some contagious disease, something to be avoided at all costs.

Rumours were spreading like wildfire, more intense than ever before. The word on everyone's lips was that Harry was the heir of Slytherin. His ability to speak Parseltongue, the language of snakes, was cited as evidence of his supposed heritage, as only the descendants of the great Salazar Slytherin himself were thought to possess that power.

➳➳➳➳➳┄┄※┄┄➳➳➳➳➳

Clarissa, along with other students, found the prospect of Harry being the heir of Slytherin both intriguing and alarming. She wondered what it would mean if he really was the descendant of the legendary wizard, and what secrets he might hold. She couldn't help but be swept up in the excitement of the rumours, even as she remained unsure of their truth.

The blizzard outside had forced the cancellation of their lesson, leaving the Slytherins stuck in the common room. Clarissa broke the silence with a question that had been on everyone's mind.

"Do you guys believe that Potter is the heir of Slytherin?" she asked, looking around at the small group of students who had gathered around the fireplace.

Draco, who had been sitting in a comfortable armchair, rolled his eyes in annoyance. "For goodness sakes, Clarissa," he said, "I've told you so many times that Potter couldn't be the heir of Slytherin."

"But what about the fact that he spoke Parseltongue, which only the descendants of the great Salazar Slytherin could speak," countered Clarissa. "What if he was truly the heir of Slytherin?"

Draco sighed heavily. "Even if he was the heir, he wouldn't make a difference. He's a mudblood-loving Gryffindor after all," he said, sneering at the thought of Harry Potter.

"But imagine, if he was the heir of Slytherin," said Draco, a mischievous glint in his eye. "He would make this house look like a joke. The boy who lived, the hero of the wizarding world, the heir of Slytherin? It's almost too ridiculous to imagine."

Clarissa frowned, unconvinced by Draco's words. "But what if he's hiding it? What if he's been the heir all along and we just never knew?"

Draco rolled his eyes. "Clarissa, that's ridiculous. If Potter really was the heir, don't you think he would have shown some sort of magical ability related to snakes before now? And why would he be in Gryffindor if he was the heir of Slytherin? It doesn't make any sense."

Clarissa shrugged. "I don't know, I just think we should be careful around him. And keep an eye out for any signs that he might be the heir."

Draco sighed. "Fine, do what you want. But I think you're just being paranoid."

The atmosphere in the common room was tense, with Draco's irritation towards Clarissa palpable. But the tension was soon broken by Theo, who spoke up with a suggestion that shook the room.

"It is possible that Clarissa may be right," Theo said in a thoughtful tone. "We saw that he was attacking the Hufflepuff yesterday who was a muggleborn. It's possible that his 'mudblood-loving Gryffindor' persona may be an act. What if he has plans for the school?"

Draco raised an eyebrow in skepticism. "Plans for the school? What kind of plans could he possibly have?"

"The Chamber of Secrets," Theo replied with a low voice, making everyone lean in closer to hear. "What if he wants to open it and unleash whatever horrors lie within? He could be the heir of Slytherin, and we would be foolish not to consider the possibility."