Chapter 30

"Knowledge without intelligence,
and intelligence without ambition
are like soaring in a plane,
which could crash any minute."

➳➳➳➳➳┄┄※┄┄➳➳➳➳➳

On Friday morning, Clarissa and Draco were conspicuously absent from their usual classes, until they finally made their way to the potions classroom, where they were scheduled to have class with the Gryffindors. Draco had decided to stay by Clarissa's side, offering her much-needed emotional support, and also taking advantage of the opportunity to skip class.

As Clarissa entered the classroom, accompanied by Draco, Blaise, a fellow Slytherin, couldn't contain his excitement. He pointed towards Clarissa and announced to the class, "Everyone! She's back!"

Daphne immediately rushed towards her, engulfing her in a tight hug. Clarissa winced in pain as Daphne squeezed her arm a bit too tightly. "Ow!" Clarissa moaned, "You're squeezing my arm."

Snape, the potions master, who was known for his acerbic wit and strict demeanor, interrupted the reunion with a scathing remark. "As much as I would like to welcome back Miss White," he said, "You all should be paying attention to class rather than focusing on things you should be doing later in the day."

Clarissa nodded, acknowledging Snape's reprimand, though her eyes sparkled with gratitude towards Daphne for her warm welcome. Draco, standing silently by Clarissa's side, frowned at Snape's comment, but refrained from saying anything.

Clarissa took her seat, and Draco settled in beside her, his presence providing a sense of reassurance. As Snape began his lecture, Clarissa's attention was divided between the potion brewing instructions and her thoughts, which were still swirling with the recent events that had kept her away from school.

Despite Snape's snarky comments and the tension in the classroom, Clarissa felt a small sense of relief. She was grateful for Draco's support and the warmth of her friends' welcome, knowing that she wasn't alone in facing the challenges that lay ahead.

As the class continued, Clarissa listened attentively, her mind focused on the task at hand. She took meticulous notes, her quill gliding smoothly across the parchment, her movements precise and deliberate. She was determined to make the most of her time in class, knowing that she needed to catch up on the lessons she had missed.

Snape's critical gaze swept over the classroom, his sharp eyes scrutinizing each student's progress. He paused near Clarissa and Draco, his gaze lingering on them for a moment longer than the rest. Clarissa met his gaze with a steely determination, her resolve shining through.

➳➳➳➳➳┄┄※┄┄➳➳➳➳➳

In the dimly lit potions classroom, Draco and Clarissa found themselves at the same table as Ron and Harry. Today's lesson involved crafting a shrinking solution, and Draco couldn't help but notice that Clarissa was struggling with cutting her roots. He glanced over at Snape, who was engrossed in his own work.

"Sir," Draco spoke up, his voice composed and confident. "I'm afraid Clarissa needs assistance with cutting her roots. I would be happy to help her, but I'm too focused on my own potion at the moment. May I request your permission to lend her a hand?"

Snape looked up, his expression icy. "Weasley, cut up White's roots for her," he commanded, without bothering to hide his disdain.

Clarissa winced as Ron bumped into her injured arm while he started hacking at the roots with little finesse, leaving them in uneven pieces of varying sizes. Draco's jaw clenched in frustration as he watched the careless treatment of Clarissa's potion ingredients.