Chapter 32

"Stars, hide your fires; Let not light see my black
and deep desires."

➳➳➳➳➳┄┄※┄┄➳➳➳➳➳

The air in the classroom hung heavy with a palpable sense of boredom, the students' attention drifting as the professor droned on about the intricacies of magical theory. The recent events involving Theo had left the group in a state of unease, with worry etched on their faces, and their thoughts consumed by what he might do to himself. The weight of negativity cast a shadow over their day, and they longed for a respite from the gloom that had settled upon them.

Thankfully, a glimmer of hope emerged as the head of each house approached, bearing permission forms for a visit to the nearby Hogsmeade Village. The prospect of exploring the quaint wizarding village independently, away from the confines of the school, was met with a spark of interest. It offered a rare opportunity to break free from the monotony of classes and inject some excitement into their lives.

Conversations buzzed among the students as they eagerly submitted their forms to their respective heads of the year, anticipation building for the upcoming excursion. For a moment, the worries that had weighed them down were momentarily lifted, replaced by a flicker of excitement and the promise of adventure in the offing. It was a small but welcome reprieve from the challenges and uncertainties that had gripped their lives, and they looked forward to the possibility of exploring Hogsmeade Village with a renewed sense of optimism.

Daphne's voice pierced through the excited chatter of her peers as they discussed their plans for the upcoming visit to Hogsmeade Village. Her frustration was palpable, and she couldn't understand how they could be so oblivious to the dire situation concerning Theo's mother and Theo himself. Her tone was sharp, and her words carried a sense of indignation.

"Why are you all so excited?" she yelled, her eyes flashing with emotion. "Theo's mother is in a crucial state right now, and you guys are here making plans about food and sightseeing?"

Her outburst was met with a momentary silence as her peers looked at her with a mix of surprise and discomfort. Blais stepped forward, his expression grave.

"Daphne, we understand your frustration," he said in a measured tone, trying to diffuse the tension. "But this visit to Hogsmeade is also an opportunity for us to break free from the negative energy that has been surrounding us."

Daphne scoffed, her hands on her hips as she glared at Blaise. "Negative energy?" she questioned incredulously. "So you think Theo is just bringing some kind of bad aura around us? You know, I would have expected better from you, Blaise, especially considering you don't even know your own father, and here Theo is, losing his mother."

Blaise's abrupt departure from the common room left Daphne with a sinking feeling in her chest. She watched as he wordlessly exited, his jaw clenched, his expression a mix of hurt and frustration. Daphne realized she had made a grave error in judgment, and her heart constricted with regret.

"Daphne," Clarissa's voice cut through the tense silence, her tone tinged with disappointment. "That was a terrible mistake."

Daphne turned to face Clarissa, her eyes downcast, ashamed of her impulsive words. Clarissa's stern gaze bore into her, and Daphne felt a pang of guilt.

"What gives you the right to mention his father like that?" Clarissa continued, her voice measured but reproachful.

Daphne swallowed hard, feeling the weight of her mistake. She knew she had crossed a line, and her remorse was palpable.

"I didn't mean it that way," Daphne said quietly, her voice barely above a whisper. "I was angry, and I lashed out without thinking."

Clarissa's expression softened, but her disappointment remained evident.