Chp. 12

"Writers are magicians.
They don't cry, they bleed on papers.
They don't write conversations,
they help those people speak,
Who never got a chance to live.
Magicians."
~Ivy Miles 

 = = = = = =

Author pov_

"Hey, you want to play a game?" Chris asked his younger sister after she was done laughing at their younger brothers' antiques.

"Yeah, sure," she smiled at him.

"It's called hide and seek," their mother glanced at them curiously as she continued to beat the eggs in order to make their traditional egg tarts. The ones she made every time they met. "I hide and yo-"

"And I seek," she rolled her eyes before continuing, "I know that."

But Chris shook his head. That wasn't what he wanted to say.

"I hide, and you seek... help." 

His younger sister, Era, slapped his bicep and their mother and brother burst out laughing. 

"That was mean!" she cried out.

"Not more than you though," he replied with a wink. 

"Mom!!" 

"Hm... Maybe I should add a bit more sugar," her mom murmured to herself. Chris then stood up, his phone rang, and he pulled it out. Era groaned, slipping out of her stool placed near the island and exiting the kitchen itself. She went out, out of the house and in the lush green garden that surrounded the mansion. 

Era Lloyd was, if nothing, the apple of her family's eye. She was her parents' pride; her younger brother admired her, and her elder brother adored her. Era's father was the owner of the Lloyd Royal hotel chain. And with the help of his incredibly intelligent and kind wife, their growth was unstoppable. Era grew up to fall in love with the way the hotels were run. She fell in love with the way her father's staff looked up at him with such respect in their eyes. She fell in love with the way her parent's eyes glinted every time anything good happened to them or to their workers. 

As Era kept growing their family business, Chris choosed to go after his dream, opening his own law firm. And today, he was there, at the age of 27. Meanwhile her younger brother wanted to chase his dream of becoming an idol. He already had four companies wanting to sign him, but he had his eyes and mind set on the bigger companies. 

Her brothers were what gave her strength, the most. She had always acknowledged their love silently. When she was younger and had teen troubles, they bought her chocolates. When boys treated her like their goal, they became her goalkeeper. When she stood up for herself, they stood behind her. Every time she faced a wall, they encouraged her to break it down. 

Era's bumpy train of thoughts, or as she calls it, the anxiety express, was then disturbed by a very unhappy looking Chris. Well, not directly but he did anyway. Era was sitting on a bench in the shadows, in a far corner of the Terres Garden. She peeked at him from her hide out and noticed him talking on his phone. She decided to wait until he approached so as to startle him. 

[Chris: ...She's been asking me for help for as long as I can remember]

Era's eyebrows furrowed in a matter of seconds. 

Who is he talking to?  

She shifted back, taking refuge in the bushes to hide from him. It didn't seem like the best time to make her presence known. Chris paused for about a minute before speaking again. 

[Chris: No, I want to be there when it happens, I-......]

[Chris: I will make sure they have no escape from that. At least for the court part. And you can g- yes miss. Kim,]
[Chris: Also, please make sure, you don't get late. Be on time.]