Chapter XI - ILLITERATE?

"Hey, Y/N."

You opened your eyes groggily as you yawned. "Zack...?" you mumbled tiredly.
You heard a soft 'yes' beside you as you stretched.

"Is it morning already..?" you asked. "Yeah, sleepyhead," Zack replied, running his hands through your hair.

Why do I feel like something is holding me...?

You looked around you and saw Zack holding you close to his chest, his legs in between and over yours, arms intertwined with your body, the blanket of the bed covering only a fraction of both of your bodies that lay on the bed.

You looked at his face, and a caring smile lay on his lips as he looked back at you. "You ready to start the day, sweetheart?" he said, caressing your face with one of his bandaged hands.

You let out a small chuckle as you nodded. "Yeah."

Zack kissed your forehead softly before he sat up, removing his legs that were coiled around yours.
Remind me again why we aren't even officially dating yet?

You yawned, sitting up as Zack ruffled your hair softly. "You're so cute when you're like this," he whispered, a gentle smile on his face.

"Don't fluster me so early on, Zack," you said, letting the man in front play with your [h/l] [h/c] hair.
"I'd delight in that sight," Zack murmured with a weak smirk curving on his lips. You sighed, as Zack retracted his hand, leaving the bed and the room.

"I'll wait for you in the living room. Do whatever you want," he said tiredly. "Wait, Zack," you said, unzipping his jacket, knowing you were wearing it and had borrowed it.
Zack looked behind, knowing what you were going to do. "Nah, keep it for now," he said, stopping you from continuing.

"Huh? Why?" you said.
"It fits you. You look cute in it," he said, walking toward you.
"You almost look like a mini-me~" he teased while ruffling your hair, showing you a happy smile.

"Yeah, now gimme your scythe," you said with a tired look on your face.
"I think I'll keep that out of your reach for now," Zack laughed as he took his weapon and left the room.

You stood up from the bed, stretching. Your wine-red shirt showed since Zack's jacket was zipped down. You looked in a mirror that was in your room.
His...marks are still there.

Ignoring your thoughts, you walked towards a cabinet and opened it. You obtained a circular, soft material, and you tied your [h/l] [h/c] hair in a bun with it.

You walked out to the living room, where Zack was. "Hey Zack," you called. "Yeah?" he replied.
"You do know you can change now, right?" you mentioned.
"Change?" he asked with a perplexed look on his face.

"Change clothes, I mean, not literally change as a person," you cleared up.
"Huh. Alright then, I'll be back in a bit," Zack said, standing up from the couch and leaving to your room, locking the door.

You sat on the same couch he'd been sitting on as you waited for him to finish changing. Maybe he'll wear something casual? I don't know what's in my closet, haven't been here in ages, so I dunno.

When he walked out of the room, you could swear you did a double-take because he came out formal. Very formal.
Or maybe it's that it's been so long since you've worn proper, casual clothing that you've forgotten the border between informal and formal wear.

He wore a dark brown trench coat with the center of the upper chest coated with a smooth, soft, white cloth and a loose red tie, his bandaged neck still exposed.
A leather belt was adorned with a silver clip, and dark grey pants extended to his long, black boots with silver clips and leather adornments which reached his knees.
Hell, even his hair seemed to be brushed neatly, though you weren't sure if you were hallucinating that at this point.

"What do you think? Better?" Zack said, though a smug smile rested on his lips.
"It's...way more formal than I thought, but it suits you," you replied, your eyes delighting in the sight before you.

He looks beautiful, though...

"What do you mean 'way more formal'?" Zack asked, snapping you out of your thoughts.
"I mean that in the way that you normally would wear that type of clothing on a formal occasion, such as going out, visiting more organized and fancy places, y'know," you answered, scratching the back of your neck.

"Huh," Zack muttered.
"I'm not saying not to wear it though, it looks good on you," you said. "Speaking of which, you seemed to choose quite quickly this set of clothes, I wasn't waiting too long."

"I have an eye for what's beautiful and what's not," Zack said, a proud smirk on his face. "My, did Eddie teach you a thing or two?" you said teasingly.
"Don't bring him up," Zack muttered, a tick mark forming.

"Fine, fine," you said, raising your hands. "Anyways, is there anything you want to do?"

"I dunno. I'd go kill," Zack said with a bored look on his face.
"Well, we've got time to kill, so let's figure out something less grotesque," you replied.

It was then that you came up with an idea.
"Hey, Zack," you started. "What?" he replied curiously.

"Wanna learn how to read and write?" you asked.

His eyes slowly widened, a hidden spark of excitement buried in his eyes. "To...read and...write?" he repeated.
"Yeah," you cleared with a smile on your face.

"Sure," he answered rather excitedly. "What would we need?"
"Just some paper and pencil," you said.

"If I remember correctly, there was some in your room back in B6, and I took your notepad and pencil from down there, so it should be in my bag somewhere," you muttered. "Speaking of which, where is my bag?"

"Oh, that? With your gun. It's in your room. I figured I'd bring it along overnight.
When we first entered your house, you were out like a light, so I did you a favor and while you were sleeping, I brought your belongings from the hospital-in-process-looking building," Zack explained, his arms crossed.

"Huh, alright," you replied. "Well then, if you don't mind, I'll be back in a few minutes."

"Alright, Y/N."