Sonic Heroes Chapter Twenty

"Mwahahaha! You fools must all have a death wish! Witness this invincible battleship, built by the hands of a genius. It's power...unmatched throughout the universe!"

The four teams stood on separate ships of the Egg Fleet, but it was a meaningless fact, for they were all headed to the same destination. The Egg Fleet was huge, spanning across the entire morning sky, preparing to seize the third day. No matter how long it took, the heroes would reach the flagship the one true doctor was hiding on.

"Once we start a job, we finish a job! That's our policy," Vector replied confidently back at Eggman's booming voice overhead. "We're Team Chaotix!"

"If you want a fight, you've got one!" Amy exclaimed. She pointed forward, cuing Cream and Big to get moving. "Let's get that bloated buffoon!"

"You'll regret this, doctor..." grunted Shadow, casting out a hand. "Even if I'm not real...I'm still the Ultimate Life form, Shadow the Hedgehog!"

Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles were at the edge of the fleet as well, Sonic sporting a cocky pose before running onward with his team.

"Alright, Eggman...let's get this party started..."

. . .

"Okay, I'm sure you managed to overhear us on our job policy," Vector began into the communication device, grinding on the rails that wove between all the ships. "So, let's finish this job by you telling us what to do next."

"You next mission, which if we're lucky will be your second to last," the client started, sounding like he was on the edge of victory. "Infiltrate the fleet's whale shark flagship. Be careful not to be detected by enemies."

He hung up, and Espio seemed a bit irritated.

"That's our second to last mission? Get through Eggman's metallic flying school of fish without being detected? I had in mind that we'd be doing some more sabotaging of some sort..."

"Maybe we're getting to that," suggested Vector. Their grind rail ended on one of the ships, cuing them to take cover before they were spotted. "Maybe that flagship we've gotta get to is Eggman's main base of operations, and if we hit him where it really hurts, then perhaps the entire armada will fall apart!"

"Logical, but we can only find out for sure once we get there."

With that, Espio went silent, camouflaging himself and telling his team to stay close.

. . .

Team Rose was already on their toes for the morning- they had hardly announced their presence on the fleet when missiles started barraging out from nowhere!

"Looks like we may be in over our heads this time, guys!" Amy called, diving to the ground to narrowly avoid a stray missile.

"As scary as this place is," Cream began, cringing at the sound of an explosion. "It has to be where Froggy and Chocola are! Eggman admitted to taking them, so if he's here, they will be too...right?"

"If they're not, there's no place left to look," Big sighed. He shook his head. "It was easier to find Froggy back when he had a tail, that's for sure..."

"They're here somewhere guys, I can feel it," Amy assured, turning around to give them a smile and thumbs up. "We also promised to help Sonic take down Eggman, so we can't forget that either...I know that as soon as we show that fool we mean business once and for all, he'll probably hand back our friends on the spot!"

"Right!"

. . .

"We...are flying very high," Rouge commented, glancing down at the planet still spinning below them. If Eggman wasn't stopped, however, who knew if it would ever spin the same way again? "Hmm...we might even be on the edge of space!"