Chapter 18

"You seem happier these days!" The barista commented as she handed me the two drinks.

"Well...some things suck less." I said.

"Is your boss nicer now?" She asked slyly.

That was a can of worms I did not want to open up.

"Uhh..."

She lit up.

"I could give a listening ear if you want!" She smiled with a sparkle in her eye.

I didn't want to but she's also been really nice and giving me free drinks occasionally. I should take a few minutes at least.

"Sure. But not too long. My manager has been on my ass lately." I said.

She scoffed as she walked around the corner. She guided us to a table and sat down with a dramatic sigh.

"I was hoping your boss was treating you better at least." She said, putting her hand in her hands. "So I guess it's something else putting a pep in your step. Cute coworker?"

Well technically the boss was the coworker but I don't really need to explain that. Plus Kappa still exists.

"Well...it's...yea. Except I've got some suspicions about said coworker." I sighed.

"Wanna give me the quick version? Unless you're willing to risk your boss."

"Lately I've been getting so confused around him. He's been handsome the whole time but now I'm starting to notice it."

"Did something change?" She asked.

"He became a lot nicer after we worked out a disagreement. Like...helping out with my boss and cheering me up. He showed me this hole-in-the-wall that's to die for." I said.

"Then...what's the problem?"

I pursed my lips. I couldn't bring myself to think about it because the idea hurt so much.

"I think he's hiding something.." I said finally.

"Well is that something a dealbreaker?"

I thought for a moment, watching people walk by the window. If it's true then I wasn't sure I could handle it.

"Yea." I said finally.

"That seems..dicey." She said finally.

Silence fell between us and she slammed her hand on the table.

"Tell you what! We can give you more options! I know some guys who are single. I'll screen their personalities beforehand of course."

"You don't have to do that." I smiled.

"Well, I could still keep an eye out. What's your type?"

I thought for a moment.

"Dark hair and assertive but not like...controlling." I said.

"Like... Duke of the North type?" She said before pausing with a nervous look.

"Yea." I smiled. "I like Villainess comics too by the way."

"Thank god. I can't handle another person telling me to grow out of it."

"Sounds like they hate fun."

"Yes! You get it!"

She gave me a mini rant and we talked about our favorite tropes for a few minutes before I left for the office. While I didn't plan on talking to her at all, I was actually kind of glad I did. It gave me a good moment before I arrived at the inevitable hell waiting for me at the office. When I logged in I saw a mountain of emails waiting for me and I gave myself a few minutes of silence before I dove in.