Chapter 46

What the actual fuck is going on.

I double-checked the email, re-reading it over and over again, trying to calm my beating heart. The words stayed the same. HR emailed me with a list of stuff I needed to turn in for my last day of work. I lose access at the end of the day. There weren't any layoffs that I knew of. I wasn't told anything. Katsuki was out on patrol so I couldn't ask him.

I got up and walked over to Mr. Kakimori's office. He wasn't there. I searched for him and then sat down again. I checked the website where I put in my hours. The end date was for today. I didn't notice that before. Then, I called HR and asked. They said that a notice had been up for a few weeks about me leaving the agency. I never put in that notice. After another few minutes, I message Mr. Kakimori telling him that I needed to talk to him. After several minutes, he pinged me back.

Y/N:

Today is my last day? Can we please talk?

Masato Kakimori:

I'll let you know when we can talk

Theoretically, there were things I could do. I could finish the powerpoint. I could return calls. I could gather things nice and neat for the next person. Instead I sat, stunned. My heart pounded in my chest and blood rushed in my ears. My hands shook and I felt like the floor collapsed underneath me. What is happening? I looked again at the HR email and they mentioned performance issues. What performance issues?

I had no idea when he'd contact me so I went to the usual coffee shop to get an emergency breakfast bagel. And you know what? Fuck it. Let's throw in a coffee cake muffin and some banana bread too. I got to the store and the usual barista was there. She took one look at my face and was concerned.

"What happened?" She asked.

"I...think I was fired. But I don't even know why." I said numbly. "I'm gonna talk to my boss soon."

"Are you serious? What did the pink slip say?"

"I didn't even get one. My contract just got shortened to today apparently."

"What the fuck?" She said then covered her mouth. "Can you report to anybody?"

"I don't know, I'm all over the place."

My phone buzzed.

Masato Kakimori:

I have some time now.

Meet me in Meeting room 4xx

"He's available now."

She ran to the back and shoved some ready made stuff in my hands.

"Tell me how it goes okay? On the house."

My lips wobbled as I held back my tears.

"Thanks." I said weakly and walked back to the office.

I put the food on my desk and went straight to the meeting room. He was there waiting for me and holding open the door. I went inside and he closed the door.

"So what's wrong?" He asked.

What the fuck do you mean what's wrong?

"Why is today is my last day? Did you know about this? Wh-Why didn't you say anything?" I blurted out, trying to stay calm and professional.