Chapter 40

Going to work felt odd. Not just because I already felt like I'd been awake for too long but because Katsuki's absence was palpable. I don't know if his little shuffling or his aura filled the room but it was so jarringly empty. I frowned. Every second was felt. When I was first hired, I would have begged for this chance. A lot can change over a short period of time.

Luckily it wasn't too hard to fill the time. A lot of meetings about the next steps and stuff were scheduled and ENDLESS discussions about which minute detail can make or break this thing. I was half-paying attention since I wasn't really interested in becoming essential for any projects anytime soon. I just wrote everything down and made a separate email to send to Katsuki about what may be relevant to him.

While the rumor mill has moved on to the latest and greatest, I still hear whispers in the halls from time to time about how unexpected the whole thing was. Luckily there were no doubts since the company outing. Apparently, Katsuki whispering in my ear (blatantly flirting) really sealed the deal. Manager Asshat hasn't been giving me any trouble since then about that either. My phone buzzed. A new group chat with Kame and me.

Akira:

Hey, would you mind helping me with something during lunch?

I promise to treat you guys after this!

Kame:

Sure!

A few minutes after lunch started he and Kame walked up to me. Kame seemed happy to be on this mission.

"So....what's going on?" I asked.

"I've finally decided to ask Miyuki on a date. And I was wondering if you guys could help me pick flowers."

"I understand Kame but Shiori might've been better for this mission since she's known her longer." I said.

"Shiori is a little swamped since her manager got fired up after the successful campaign. So she's on distraction duty." He said.

"I see. Well, let's go."

We went downstairs after Shiori gave us the signal that her and Miyuki were sitting down eating somewhere.

"I saw a flower shop not too far from here." Akira said.

Sure enough, down the street, there was a shop overflowing with arrangements.

"Why aren't we buying this after work, what if the flowers wilt."

"Cuz Akira asked to meet on the rooftop right after lunch." Kame said.

"Oh! That soon? Personally, I'd wait after work so I could immediately leave if I wanted to."

"I'm a now or never kind of guy." He said.

We found an arrangement we all could agree on and rang the bell for assistance. The person called out from the back in an oddly familiar voice and when she emerged, Akira immediately took a picture of the bouquet and put the flowers down. Kaiya. I guess she does have a job.

"There's a better shop a couple blocks down." Kame said showing us her phone.

"Awesome let's go."

"Hey!" She said.

I turned back but Akira and Kame kept marching on. I followed after them after a moment. On my way out, a thorn from a rose pricked me. I winced, moving the rose further away from the door, and walked off. We managed to get the same bouquet, and hyped up Akira on the way back. He was sweaty and a little bit shaky by the time we reached the building but determined. Kame and I headed to the company cafeteria and picked up something to go to while carefully avoiding the topic of Kaiya.