Chapter 21

A/N: Huge thank you to _bigsimpin_ for helping me find a cover! Credit for the art is in the summary.

I could almost convince myself yesterday didn't happen if Kaminari didn't send a bunch of well-meaning texts to try to rectify the situation. I muted him at first but after the others reached out separately (less persistently though thank god), I decided to just turn off my personal phone. The entire way to the train station was a blur of racing thoughts. Sooner than I wanted, I was in front of the building. I walked straight to my desk, unable to debrief Bakugo on the day like usual.

After a few minutes, I braved a look at his office. He looked tired. His lips were set in their usual frown as he focused on his computer. Every compliment he'd ever given me flashed in my mind. Every thought I had about Kuro played in my mind too. Then he looked up, noticing me. His entire demeanor changed. Cautious, hopeful, and I didn't know how I missed it before but blanketed with a softness that bordered on adoration.

I looked away and logged into my computer to check on the schedule. It took multiple reads to process what I was seeing. I was still so angry. I couldn't wash that away. When I couldn't really stall it anymore, I walked into his office all packed up.

"I'll brief you in the car. Let's go." I said before turning and walking away.

When we got into the car, I gave him the details and reminded him it was all on his calendar if he needed a quick reference. The tension was suffocating. Once again, I could almost pretend last night didn't happen. But I saw how the passenger seat swayed slightly as the car moved. I saw my shoe marks still on the car door. Tokaji won't even look in my direction. Another wave of embarrassment that quickly morphed into anger washed over me. When we arrived, I walked out and headed into the building with no words for either of them.

The universe was against me today because every event we had was centered on Bakugo's best events. The ones that showed off his looks. Right now, we are fulfilling the second phase of the modeling contract. Due to the success of the sportswear sales that Bakugo modeled a couple of months ago, we are now moving on to modeling the men's and women's lines. This initially was scheduled for after TMW but since the initial sales were so good they wanted to tease it early and generate interest. And since we caused them trouble in the beginning we decided to accommodate this last-minute change.

Bakugo went straight to the dressed room while I double-checked the timeline for everything. There was unfortunately very little for me to do since everything was pretty much settled for the events. It was out of my hands, which meant I had space for my thoughts. I almost wanted to ask Mr. Kakimori for extra work but I wasn't quite that upset. I couldn't bring myself to look at him. Even when Bakugo went on set I kept my head down to keep from looking at him.

"Alright take five!" The director said.

I glanced up and saw the models going off-set to stretch. A few of the brave ones took sips of water or glanced at the little snacks to store for later. Bakugo kept his distance from everyone and kept glancing over here. He stood there awkwardly trying to fish for words and I had no desire to help him.

"I like her."

Stop thinking about that.

My phone rang.

"Mr. Tokaji? Is everything alright?" I asked.

"Um yes. Could you come out for a moment please?"

Is something wrong with the car? I hope he's not personally responsible for fixing the damage. If he is I'll offer to pay.

"Sure."

I hung up and walked out of the building where the car was parked. Tokaji was standing there with a Dumpling Palace box. I crossed my arms and looked at him.