Chapter 23

This was so much fancier than I could have imagined.

I looked out into a grand ballroom full of people in dresses and tuxes. Servers walked around the room serving alcohol and finger food. Everything screamed opulence even though we made everything as cost-effective as possible. To me, this was impressive by every measure. I was also not used to wealth so who really knows? Either way, I felt a little proud that I contributed to this event. Also, I will definitely thank Sae for giving me this dress, the one I had didn't quite match up.

Today was the first event of the variety show. I-Spy. There were people who were assigned targets in the crowd that the heroes had to get information on. Currently, Red Riot, Deku, and Dynamight were in disguise mingling with the crowd and gathering information on their target. They were all given hints at the same time and were asked to adjust accordingly. If any of us non-spies were to spot them we were to call attention to it or be taken out of commission by the heroes.

I straightened out my black dress. There was no telling what roles any of us were going to play. I looked around trying to see if I could spot Bakugo or the cameras. No avail. From what I understood, there were cameras spread around the area shooting at various different angles. Some of these cameras were fixed onto our heroes of course to make sure we caught everything.

Some of the actors with lines to help the heroes were jazzed up, looking for the cameras and giving their dialogue a little more dramatically than needed but they looked happy. I smiled ruefully hoping they got a little more than the wages they asked for tonight.

-A Few Months Earlier-

"I've...got a slimeball idea." I said, reluctantly raising my hand.

We were in the middle of planning how we were going to budget this thing. Since this wasn't my area of expertise I just sat and took notes. However, striking the balance between cheap and expensive was pretty difficult. We were coming up with wall after wall and while we certainly had the money to spend, we didn't want to ask to increase the budget. Especially for something a total newbie suggested.

"The floor is yours."

"There are a lot of newbie actors who want roles but can't get them. If we round up those people we can pay them their desired wage for the night without breaking the bank. They probably won't ask for much either since ideally they're just starting out. We could also...incentivize staff to attend as well to fill it with bodies." I said, keeping my head down.

The room fell silent.

"It wouldn't hurt to do an interest check?" One of the people suggested.

"What about costumes? Wouldn't what we're saving on them would be eaten up by costume costs?"

"Where would we hold it?"

"I think I have some suggestions on that." Shiori spoke up

-Present-

It turned out that actors tended to have fancy clothing on deck for their roles. We hardly had to supply extra costumes. Shiori also had a friend who had a glamor quirk so even if the actor arrived in something that wasn't quite up to par we used her quirk to spruce it up. And it was just paying one more person a flat rate for the night. Mr. Yashiro was pretty pleased, to say the least.

I was sitting at a table with Toyoko and some of her friends chatting. None of us had any predefined lines. We just were instructed to keep it PG since the cameras are rolling almost everywhere. I thought it would make me self-conscious but it was pretty easy to forget after a while. At some point, I needed to use the bathroom. Toyoko and one of her friends came with me since they wanted to touch up their makeup. On the way, we passed someone with blue hair and blue eyes. He seemed familiar.