ꜰᴏᴜʀ

∞ 𝐑𝐔𝐍 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐇𝐈𝐃𝐄∞

_______________________________________

They rode in silence, maybe a tribute to those that died that day

They rode in silence, maybe a tribute to those that died that day. They didn't know if anyone from the other classes made it out, but, even if no one was saying anything, they were all silently praying.

Chae-Yeong looked to her left, taking in the man beside her. She let her gun propped by her foot when they put some distance between the car and the school. She knew that Chun-Ho noticed her looking at him, not saying anything, as if by saying something, they would attract more spheres. He was driving silently, not looking anywhere but forward. His muscles relaxed a few minutes after the events with In-Hye, but the atmosphere was still tense.

She rested her hand over his, feeling his muscles tense and relax again.

"You did what you had to do." He didn't say anything, didn't even nod. "It's not your fault."
"Maybe..." he started saying and then stopped, thinking for a second. "Maybe I could have saved her."
"Maybe. But, maybe, if you would have saved her, someone else would have died." His jaw tightened. "Don't beat yourself up for it. These kids are still alive because of you." She squeezed his hand tighter as she felt him relax. "Do you remember that I told you I was with some friends before I ended up alone out there where you found me?" He nodded, glancing at her for a moment. She took in a shaky breath. "There was this girl, Hae-Won. She... We were really close, she was like a sister to me. I knew her from a very young age, we went to school together and then remained friends even after that." She paused.
"You don't have to tell me," she heard him say and decided to ignore it. It was hard to talk about it, but she knew it was something that he needed to hear so he could get over it.
"We had a fight a few days before she died. And I didn't apologize, because I am stubborn," Chae-Yeong said and laughed a little bit, which brought a smile to Chun-Ho's face. "But now that I'm thinking about it, she might have been right. And you know, even though we fought and didn't get to make up, she died to let me live. There was a wave of spheres that came directly at us and I was out of ammo, so she gave me hers, saying that she still had bullets left. So we decided to split up and I used her ammo to save my ass and she didn't have many bullets left and..." Tears were starting to gather in her eyes.
"I don't know if I am supposed to say this, but I am glad that she saved you."
"Anyways, the moral of the story," she continued as she felt his hand tighten over hers. "We promised that we would do this thing if one of us died in the beginning. We knew that day would come someday, there was no point in denying it. And it actually made me feel better."
"What did you promise each other?" Chun-Ho asked her as he looked at her with pity in his eyes. No, not pity, it was something else.
"It's going to sound silly, but here goes nothing. I chose a star, her star, and cursed at it."
"You cursed at it?" he asked, confused.
"Yeah, like yelled at it like it was her and not a star and tell her that she was a bitch for dying. And, before you judge me, it did work."
"And now you want me to choose a star and yell at it that she is a bitch?"
"It sounds stupid when you say it like that." She couldn't contain herself anymore as she let out a loud laugh. She thought that he was going to ignore her at first, but soon he started laughing too.
"This day was really shitty."
"Yeah," Chae-Yeong told him as she closed her eyes. "I hope they have a shower wherever you're taking us to."
"They do, but first, we need to fix those stitches."
"Ok, mother."