ꜱᴇᴠᴇɴ ⁽ᵖᵃʳᵗ ¹⁾

∞ 𝐑𝐔𝐍 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐇𝐈𝐃𝐄∞

_______________________________________

"Squad One, marksman Cho Jang-Su. Assistant marksman Kook Young-Su. Squad Two, marksman Kim Yu-Jung. Assistant marksman Wang Tae-Man. Search Team, Cho Young-Sin, Know Il-Ha. Snipper Lee Na-Ra, spotter Do Su-Chul. When we arrive at our destination, the raiding party will put the guard up. The two people in the search party will take the lead and request troops."
"Yes, sir," everyone said in a chorus. Chun-Ho and Won-Bin handed Yu-Jung and Jang-Su some devices.
"This is a sphere detector."
"What? A sphere detector? Is it a prototype?"
"Yes, it isn't perfect yet, so don't rely on it too much."
"What's its radius?"
"It's 1 km in open areas. In the cities of villages, it'll only be 500 to 700 m. So always be alert."
"Yes, sir."
"That's it."

Chae-Yeong followed Chun-Ho and Won-Bin to the cars, leaving the kids to look at the device. She didn't know such thing existed until that morning, so it was something new to her too. They would have been so helpful in the recent weeks, but, unfortunately, only the military men had access to them. 

"They seem fine to me," Won-Bin said. "Maybe a little nervous, but that's all. I think we'll do good today."
"Let's hope so," Chun-Ho said. "We don't know the situation out there yet, we're blindly following orders."
"We'll come back. All of us. I have a feeling," Chae-Yeong said more to herself. The two of them nodded, as if agreeing with her.
"We leave in three minutes," Chun-Ho turned back to the kids. "Divide into your squads and get in the vehicles."
"Yes, sir!" The kids made their ways to the vehicles, guns in their hands. Chae-Yeong nodded to Won-Bin before he got in the second car. She made her way to the passenger's seat as Chun-Ho turned on the engine.
"Ready?" he asked her. She just nodded before they started moving.

They travelled on the highway until they reached the first city. Chae-Yeong could see the ivy-covered buildings in the background, a sign that no one took care of them for a long time. Every city was abandoned when the emergency protocol was installed and everyone was sent to the refuges. The government promised the citizens they would be back in a few weeks, but it's already been more than a month and they were still not back at their homes, now shelter for the spheres. Chae-Yeong became more alert when they arrived in the city, looking for any sign of spheres that could attack them. So far, it was good, the streets were as empty as they could ever be. After a few minutes, they were forced to stop, cars crowding the road. They got off, looking for a solution.

"Darn it. Lieutenant, we'll need equipment to move this," Won-Bin said. Chun-Ho looked around, calculating his next move.
"Let's search the area first." 

The kids got out of the vehicles as they started making their way inside the city. it was quiet, too quiet. It made Chae-Yeong feel uneasy and she could tell Chun-Ho felt the same as he looked at her. No spheres, no threats. She caught a glimpse of Il-Ha's detector and there was no sign of anything around. They sent them to clear out the area, but so far, nothing had to be cleaned. Won-Bin walked behind the group as Chun-Ho and her led them through the city. She was about to say something when she heard a yell from behind. Her and Chun-Ho turned behind, guns aimed and ready to fire when they saw Hee-Rak run toward a vending machine. They ran to him, asking what happened and he responded with a simple "Nothing." Won-Bin stepped aside with Chun-Ho as she remained to look after the kids. A loud thud was heard as he punched the vending machine and a can of soda fell.