Depths of Deceit

The gunshot rang though the halls of the dungeon. But the bullet did not hit its mark.

Thanks to Cassandra, who pushed the pepperbox away in time.

"Percy what are you doing!? She's unarmed!" Keyleth said

"So was my family" he growled

"Percy, she may have something we can use" Cassandra tried, "they kept her alive for a reason"

"Um..." Vex got their attention, "mind telling us who the hell that is?"

"Doctor Anna Ripley" Percy answered and pulled off his mask, "another Briarwood pawn I'm about to remove from the board" he said and brought his gun back to her face.

"And here I thought you were the intelligent one" Ripley said, "we're both engineers, Percival. We know the value of knowledge. You must be curious as to the information I possess."

Percy answered by cocking his gun closer to her face, "not that curious"

"Brother, wait" Cassandra moved his gun down again

"Why should I!?"

"I've been with the Briarwoods for years, and I know next to nothing about their motives."

Percy sighed and the black smoke vanished, "Fine. Interrogation...then she dies" Vax took that as his time to unlock the bars.

"Speaking of 'burning questions,' uh, quick little sidebar here?" Scanlan asked

Percy nodded and walked a few feet away from the group, followed by Miel, Scanlan, Keyleth and Pike.

"Percy, hey, love you pal, but we got to deal with this smoke thing." Scanlan started, "I mean, you are legit fucked up"

Percy sighed and rolled his eyes. "Not this again"

"It's been getting worse" Keyleth added with a worried expression

"It's not just that" Miel spoke up as she rubbed her arm, "every time you use it, I get this horrible feeling off of the pepperbox"

"Oh really? What kind of feeling?" Percy asked

Miel look at him in anger, not liking his tone, "demonic" she said in a low voice and the other three's eyes widened at what she said, "it's every time the smoke appears with every kill on your list...and it's getting stronger"

"Pike, can you divine anything?" Keyleth asked

"If Percy will let me" she said and looked at Percy in question.

Percy looked reluctant to agree but he thought back to how he pointed the gun at Vax without a second thought. He let out a sigh and nodded at Pike. He knelt down to be leveled with the gnome and Pike walked up to him. She placed her hand on his chest and closed her eyes to start. When she opened her eyes, they were glowing gold, indicating that she had started to look into their human friend. What she saw, terrified her so much that when she snapped out of it, she quickly moved away from Percy.

"I...I don't know what it is!" she gasped out, "but something is clouding your soul. We need to get you to a temple"

Percy's eyes widened at what she had said, "Really!? With rebels at the gate and the Briarwoods in this castle?" He asked in anger, "have you all gone mad?"

"But if something is wrong with you-"

"Your concerns are appreciated, truly" Percy said, interrupting Keyleth's words, "but we must push forward. As soon as this is over, I'll sort it out" he said

"Will you?" Pike asked, not sure if you would or not

Percy stopped walking but did not look back at them, "I swear on my family's name" he promised