Pass Through Fire

Miel chuckled nervously as she held some sticks in place for Vax to tie together. For a while now, Vex has been retelling her resurrection like a fucking legend. 

"And then, whoosh! She was alive again!" she smiled to her friends, "It really puts life in perspective, you know? Do you feel more grown, Miel? More mature?" she asked

Miel chuckled again, "um, I-I can't say I feel any different" she said.

Miel was worried about how Vex was taking this. She wanted her to stop talking about the whole her-dying-and-Vax-making-a-deal-with-The-Raven-Queen thing. Of course, Vex was seeing this as a way for her to boast about it, but she wasn't sure about Vax. She didn't know if he was fine with how nonchalant his sister was talking about his girlfriend dying and being resurrected.

"I'm sure Vax sees it in you" Vex spoke up again, "right, brother?"

"Sure. Whole new perspective" he muttered

Miel looked at him sadly. She knew it. He wasn't comfortable with it still. Before Miel could tell Vex to stop, a branch bounced off Percy, who was next to her, then bounced off her head, before landing on the floor. Miel muttered an 'ow' and looked up to see who it was. Only to see Keyleth frozen in place looking to the distance.

"Uh, Keyleth?" Pike called, but she didn't respond. "Keyleth" Pike called a little louder, only to scare the Ashari, making her drop the pile of sticks she had in her arms. "Is something wrong?" Pike asked when Keyleth looked down at them

"No, nothing" She replied and picked up her sticks, "It's just, we're so close to Pyrah"

"Is that where you're from?" Percy asked

"No, I'm an Air Ashari. The Fire Ashari live there, guarding the rift to the Fire Plane. It was one of the last places my mom was seen alive on her Aramente"

"Oh Keyleth, I'm so sorry" Pike said sadly, "If we're close to Pyrah, maybe we should go"

Vax sighed, getting everyone's attention on the matter, "I'd like to, but the people of Tal'Dorei are depending on us."

"No, y-you're right" Keyleth said sadly, looking down, "It's fine. I didn't mean to...I-I'm gonna get more wood"

Keyleth left, more than likely to clear her thoughts since they had more than enough wood. Vax sat down in front of the fire but Miel kept her gaze to where the Ashari went. She sighed and slowly walked the way she went.

"Where are you going?" Vax asked immediately when he saw her walk off

"I'm gonna go with Keyleth" she smiled, knowing he was being a bit paranoid and who can blame him after what happened. She leaned over and gave him a kiss on his forehead, "I'll be back, don't worry" she reassured and walked off.

Vax kept his eyes on her until she was out of sight before letting out a sigh and dropped his gaze to the fire in front of him.

"Stop worrying, brother" Vex chuckled lightly, "she'll be fine. She'll be with Keyleth and she survived death, didn't she?" Vax couldn't help but glare at his sister, "what? Okay, I'll stop" she laughed

"Keyleth!" Miel called when she saw the Ashari, "I'll keep you company"

"Oh! You don't have to" Keyleth chuckled, "we all know Vax may start being a bit overprotective of you after what happened"

Miel scoffed, "don't worry about it. Besides, I don't think you should be alone while you're sad about your family"

Keyleth looked at her in question, "uh, I-I'm not sad" she chuckled