2. Meow

A minute passes and your heart rate returns to some level of normalcy.

Recovered from the close encounter with the wolf, you take one last deep breath and push yourself off the floor, feeling ready to continue. Getting up, you find yourself in a storage room filled with boxes and scattered items. You explore the storage facility and begin pushing boxes out of the way.

Whoever stacked these boxes and shelves must be clumsy, as items and equipment are littered all over the floor. You push a tall box aside and discover a well-stocked shelf with preserved food.

Seeing this food makes you realize how hungry you are as if you haven't eaten for years. You first reach out to a can of beans but realize there is no spoon you can use, so you decide to help yourself to some of the dried rations, grabbing some of the dried fruit and jerky. Sitting down, you take your first bite of the dried fruit. You nearly become overwhelmed by the strong taste. You are unsure whether it is because of the cryo pod or because you are just that hungry. Either way, you start to greedily wolf down the rations before taking a long drink of the water.

"Meow?"

You double-take and turn to find a... cat? You didn't expect to see a cat here, out of all places. A surprising encounter, but you definitely aren't complaining!

"Hello, little guy!"

The orange-furred cat with brown stripes brushes itself past your legs. You instinctively pick up the cat, cradling it in your arms as you pet its soft white underbelly and give it a few scratches on the neck while feeling it purr heartily in delight.

Why would this adorable critter be here in all places? Especially with monsters like that wolf lurking about? You don't have the heart to leave it behind!

"You know what? I'm taking you with me."

There is no way you will leave this cat to its demise. It is only a matter of time before some monster comes in and eats it. You finish your meal of dried food with your free hand and then get up, holding the well-behaved cat close as you begin making your way through the storage, exploring more of the place for lack of anything better to do.

On the way, you come across an open journal. Picking it up, you read the entry.

'Things have gone tense around here. Everyone is starting to feel restless. Luckily, we have Ming here to keep us company. He's constantly butting into our arguments like some puffed-up peacekeeper, and I don't know what we'd do without him.

Honestly, having a friendly animal that you can pet without the risk of turning into a latex monster is what we need to keep us going. Hopefully, the science guys can figure out a way out of this mess. I'm worried there won't be a world to return to after we find the cure.

Putting the page down, you share a glance with the cat. Latex monsters? Like that wolf you just escaped from? Is that what they're called? And what do they mean by finding a cure? Fortunately, true to the journal entry's words, the cat seems to be doing its best to help you calm down by being, well, a cat.

"So, you're Ming, huh?"

"Meow."

"Nice to meet you too!"

You speak to the cat and give it some more belly rubs. The cat murrs, encouraging you to continue. All your stress and worries fade as your world revolves around petting this adorable tabby. You take note of how soft the cat's fur is...but then again...wait, is this how you pet a cat? You don't know how to explain it, but you seem to know how to pet this cat like you know how Ming prefers to be petted.

*Murr*

And Ming seems to think so too.

'I wonder.'