Chapter III - Family.

Annie's Pov

The whole day went by slowly and exasperatingly.
We left the cafeteria a few minutes before the bell went off and had little-to-no time for our tête-à-tête.

Isabella hurried off to her next class as she grumbled about Mr Gideon, their unbearable history teacher who does not allow anyone in the class as soon as he's in.

We didn't have time to meet again as I had to go for volleyball practice.
I was already tired and blanked out mentally for the rest of the day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wearily, I walked back home as the school bus left a long time ago.
I greeted the estate gatemen as I walked in keeping my head down.
My hair was damp as sweat dripped down my chin.

My mind kept wandering and rotating around the drama at school, the constant shouts of Coach James.
That man does not need a speaker, his voice projects louder than any.

I constantly touched my back as I whimpered in reaction to the pains I felt from constantly serving and hitting the ball up high.
My fingers were burning and numb from the pain, my head throbbing like a carpenter was hitting it hard with a chisel.

I walked briskly as I did not want to have any conversation with anyone I knew.
As I gently patted my neck, I tried to console myself knowing it would all be worth it at the end hopefully.

I groaned as I remembered the loads of assignments piled up and quickened my pace.
I finally got to the big black gate, I pulled the latch from outside and got in.

Stepping into the house, I kicked off my brown sneakers, freeing my squeezed legs.
As I picked up my sneakers,I lifted my head to see my mom going through some books at the dining table with her reading glasses on the bridge of her nose.

Highlighters, Markers, Correction fluids were arranged neatly beside the books as she immersed herself fully in the book.

"Good evening Mom," I said, my breath rasped in my throat.

Before she looked up, I already doubled up the stairs as I was tired and exhausted.

I got inside my room as I saw the physics workbook laying down hopelessly.
I sighed as I put down my sneakers, taking off my sweat-soaked Jersey and shorts.

I got into the shower to have a cold-water bath.
I let the water flow through my hair wishing it could wash away all my worries down the drain.

As I stepped out of the shower with my pink robe, my white towel firmly wrapped around my head.
I met Mom sitted on my bed, glancing around like she just entered a new, fancy place.

Talk about invasion of privacy.

I sat down on the bed beside her as I untied the towel revealing my pressed hair.

"Come to the chair, let me help you braid your hair," Mom said as she pointed towards the reading table.

"Alright, thanks Mom," I said in relief as I was already frustrated.
I did not like sitting for long braids so I just preferred to leave my hair out, not knowing I was so terrible at styling.

I pulled out the chair as I sat down, I pulled out the drawer to get my combs and hair cream.
Mom got to work as she combed my hair gently.
She was the only one that fully understood the techniques regarding the braiding of my hair.

"So, I noticed. You looked so tired when you came back from school, is there any issue?" She started as she began weaving the already cut-out part of my hair.

I knew there was a catch to this.
For sure, I was not going to tell her about Clara.

I faked a yawn and rubbed my eyes as I replied;
"Mom, school is fine, I'm just tired from the intense practice and I'll fill you up when I feel better."