Chapter XV - A glimpse.

Hiii❤️, I'm back. Thank God for my exams though. Enjoy the update❤️

CLARA'S POV.

The image that reflected in the mirror was a huge contrast to what I had been used to for the past few months.
I didn't have the privilege to dwell on my physical appearance as I had to leave the house very early to avoid Mr Duke. My father.

I hurriedly grabbed my black wig, the school had permitted me to use it on the rule that it must be colored black, lame but manageable though.
I stared at the mirror, my eyes taking up my figure, my lilac shirt laid crisp on my upper body and the skirt lightly accentuated my curves.
Letting out a sigh, I picked my mini bag, locked my room door and left for school.

Lately, my usual routine was getting to school by six-thirty and hiding out in the library till it was time for assembly.
But I had to meet with Carlo this morning.

We were actually slowly building up a thing until that annoying fly walked in, I was just too carried away with my feelings to actually even pay attention to her.

As I walked along our class hallway, I kept my eyes peeled out for Carlo. The hall was quiet compared to how it bustled with noise and activity after the assembly hours.

Few people stalked the hallway, and I was so glad as I usually faltered each time I met the piercing eyes of my classmates, mocking even. A recent, unwelcome change.

I finally saw Carlo, He always looked neat and dashing in his uniform every morning, I always looked out for him actually. He was one of the few seniors that still obeyed the full school's dress code.
He stood at the door, talking to someone from outside.

Before he could go in, I called out,

"Carlo,"

He turned immediately, his impossibly long lashes fluttering as he blinked in recognition. Yes, he had long lashes.

"Oh, hey Clara."
His ardent voice called out as he walked towards me.

I tried so hard to keep a plain face, it seemed like I had a case of Ereuthophobia - fear of blushing.

"I... wanted to apologize for the other day, you know I messed up your date..."
Even if I hated apologizing, an apology would be at the tip of my tongue always for this guy.

"It's okay actually, it was just some misunderstanding," He relaxed, and stuffed his hands in his pocket.
"I hope you're feeling better now though."
His eyebrows raised to show that he needed an answer.

"Uhmm...not really, but I'm trying my best to," I tried to look into his eyes to decipher his stance or feelings at that point at least, but he was quite good at coding.

"I'm always here if you need a listening ear or just someone to rant to, alright? It's going to be okay." He let out a light smile that made my insides dance.

I didn't think I wanted to leave here yet but the class was already getting filled slowly.

"Thank you. See you later then, I guess."

"Yeah, sure." I gave a little wave as I moved hurriedly to the library.

π

Few minutes into my session at the library, the assembly bell went off loudly. I walked over to the shelves to return the huge novel 'Americanah by Chimamanda Adichie' that I had been trying to read for the past three weeks. My mind always sauntered off after the first few lines.

I would have loved to hide out here but the librarian took up the job of a search guard immediately the bells go off so I went off to the assembly ground.