Chapter IV - Reasonable or Dumb.

Annie's POV

This was the last and happiest day of the school week for others but the most stressful and unbearable one for me.

I dragged my feet to the few classes I had left for the day.

During Chemistry mock practical class, I noticed the constant stare from Clara but I ignored it and tried as much as possible to focus on the teacher. She kept throwing glares at me. If she could shoot lasers from her eyes, I would have been long gone.

I was glad that the acid and base in the lab were all concentrated, if not I'm sure they'll be down my throat by now.

I scanned around the class again before finally listening to what the chemistry teacher had to say wondering why school is even a functional enterprise.

The practical was quite interesting as Mr Kelvin kept telling us interesting stories but I was already tired.
After the class, I hurried over to the class and sat down while putting my practical manual back.

I hung my black mini bagpack at the back of my chair as I scanned through the class for the umpteenth time wondering why Carlo had not been in school.

Of course I am worried because he is my friend or maybe more than that. My close friend.

My line of thoughts were cut off by the tiny squeaks of my dear friend, Isabella.

"Let's go get something to eat before the worms start feasting on my intestines and eating me inside out,"

"That's a huge exaggeration," I pointed out
rolling my eyes at her.

I couldn't say much because I felt same way or even worse.

Exhausted as always, we both walked to the cafeteria.

I noticed how Isabella's face lit up but I totally ignored her.
She poked me and showed me a message from her boyfriend, Wale on her beeping iPhone.
He was asking her to come to the rooftop for a surprise.

She was already giggling, her full lips lifting up her chubby cheeks.

I gave her a smirk and opened my mouth to say something which she didn't even see as she had already started making her way out of the cafeteria.

"So much for sisters before misters," I shouted at her as she walked down the hallway.
She glanced back and winked at me.
I hissed and entered the cafeteria.

The cafeteria was engulfed with a sea of students, everywhere seemed like a blend of purple and Ash. Our uniforms stood out like that.

I joined the queue for pastries and drinks and got two fish rolls and a soda.

I looked for a secluded place to sit as everywhere was almost filled up.
I finally found a seat and placed my snacks to eat.

I brought out phone to keep my self busy as I was alone.

A shadow cast on the table I was on, I ignored it until I felt a cold splash of soda on my shiny black-polished shoes.
I stared down to see my supposed lunch on the cream tiles of the cafeteria.

I was sure that my face was an apt description of 'shock' as I raised up my face to meet my worse nightmare eye-to-eye.

I knew I made a terrible mistake of taking this case to Miss Lara.
She told me she was going to handle the case discreetly.
I just knew it was going to backfire.

God, was I so dumb to think Miss Lara would actually be 'discreet'.

Looking around the cafeteria, I noticed everyone's piercing eyes.
For every person I made eye-contact with, I tried to send a desperate plea with my eyes but they quickly turned to what they were doing.

It was doom for whose eyes Clara caught on her.

She giggled quietly, turned swiftly and walked up to the food vendor, ordering for only God knows what.

She placed the most disgusting food I had ever come across on the red circular table.

"Go on and eat this." She said impatiently.

I was scared to death.
I knew I was going to lose so bad if I engaged her in a fight.
Isabella wasn't around and Mom had always said to love our enemies...

What in the world am I saying or thinking!

I glanced up and noticed that Nancy and Anndora had come to join her.
They stood akimbo as if supervising me.

" You must have thought you were a wise rat, when you told on me. I had to clean the girl's locker room. That place stinks.
Now nibble away, you little rat." Clara shouted hitting her fist on the table.

I darted my eyes across the cafeteria once more and finally gave up hope.

The food didn't look so bad.
I gulped loudly as I took a few spoons of the worst food the school cafeteria had to offer.
This could send someone to the toilet for days.
I nearly puked as I turned around to run out.
I felt Clara's hand trying to drag me back but I shrugged it off and ran out.

I guess they felt satisfied as they finally let me go.

I ran to the rest room to expunge the poison I had taken in.
On my way, I texted Isabella quickly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"My smaragdine, the choirmaster just called and I told him the situation."
Mom said as she placed her soft palms on my forehead.

I gazed weakly as I saw her blurred figure sit beside me on the bed.

I remembered my head bent over the school's sink bringing out my early breakfast with the poisoned lunch.
I blacked out immediately I saw Isabella run in.

I was so happy that I passed out because I would have had an earful from Isabella.

I refused to take in any more food as I was still nauseous.
Mom had a way of always coercing me so she left the room and came back up with a bottle of supplements and stir-fried veggies.

I ate a little and rolled to the other side inorder to prevent mom forcing me to eat more.
I closed my eyes in slumber as I wondered how many people witnessed my disgrace.

End of Annie's POV
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Annie's mom walked down the stairs to her room thinking of how best to salvage this situation.

She didn't want to start questioning Annie as she was only recovering.
She also wasn't sure of the cause of her sudden diarrhoea as Isabella said she ate something that upset her stomach refusing to soul more than that.

But her instincts were telling her something was wrong.

Sitting at her reading table, she brought out her reading-glasses as she laid her Bible down to pray.

*********
Do you think she's being dumb?
Please drop a comment
Your votes are very much appreciated

With Love,
Feranmi❤️