Chapter 18

Badboyhalo POV

I've never really wanted to be an angel, not as long as I can remember. Being a demon stuck in the place meant to be a curse is a lot less horrible than it's made out to be.

We get to live in nice houses, socialize with friends, do all the things normal humans do. There's just no sunlight, no special treatment, no abilities the angels are gifted with.

I try to be grateful, though. I remind myself constantly how good I have it, and never have I truly wanted to be an angel. Until now.

Skeppy is there and so is the boy who haunts my dreams, and maybe it's cheesy and unrealistic, but all I really want is to be able to fall in love without the pain that comes with it.

At the same time, the thought of actually having to choose between lovers is something I'm much too glad I don't have to deal with.

The two boys reflect each other in a lot of ways, their strange mannerisms and their goofy smiles, the reckless element of their personality, wanting to dive right into something without a second thought.

They even look similar, with rich brown skin and fluffy black hair paired with wide brown eyes. I guess you can say I have a specific type.

How am I supposed to choose between two angels who are so similar they might as well be the one and the same?

And for days, I lie awake at night and zone out randomly trying to come up with an answer. Getting minimal sleep and tripping over my own two feet because of a decision that isn't even allowed to affect me.

Even though dying is a sort of reset on everything, even though I can't even remember my past lover, it still feels like cheating to be getting this close to Skeppy. Especially now that I've realized my true feelings for him.

And it hurts me, but I know that the right thing to do is distance myself from Skeppy, at least until I'm sure of myself.

It's going to hurt him too, I'm sure, but it's for the best.

I have to keep repeating this to myself as I get ready for work, as I leave the Nether, as I see Skeppy standing with his back to me, wiping the tears from my face. It's for the best.

Sensing my presence, Skeppy jumps up to wrap me in a hug, but I back away. He sees my hesitation, and the look on his face makes me want to go back on my word, rush into his open arms and curl into his comforting hold forever, but I just stand there, awkwardly looking away.

"You're later than usual, the first souls will be here any minute now. Are you okay?" Skeppy asks, slowly, carefully. "Did I do something wrong?"

Shaking my head, I breeze past the confused angel, setting the small backpack I brought down on the clouds near my feet.

"I'm fine, you're fine." Hy voice is gruff and forceful. "Let's just get to work."

Skeppy opens his mouth to speak, but a familiar flash blinds us for a moment, and I'm gone before he can stop me.

I'm suddenly face to face with a sweet looking woman, smile lines spread across her face like a net.

The moment we make eye contact, her memories hit me like a wave.

Esmeralda Goldshire, a woman who died in her sleep at the ripe age of 94. She lived a great life, always active and plenty of friends. She was married to an equally kind man who died a few years before, and the two of them had 3 children together. The happy family everyone dreams they had, growing up together, and staying close even after her kids were grown and gave her grandchildren.